Military periodicals online
Also see Directories online for some Army Lists.
- 1 Air Force List
- 2 Army Medical Department Report
- 3 Army Regulations, Equipment, Manuals etc
- 4 The British Indian Military Repository
- 5 Journal of the Royal United Service Institution
- 6 Journal of the United Service Institution of India, or USI Journal
- 7 Indian Army List
- 8 Indian Army Orders/Instructions
- 9 Navy List
- 10 New Annual Army List
- 11 New Army List
- 12 Quarterly Army List
- 13 Minutes of Proceedings of the Royal Artillery Institution
- 14 The United Service Journal and Naval and Military Magazine
- 15 References
Air Force List
Online Air Force Lists, in respect of the Royal Air Force, from the collection of the National Library of Scotland on Archive.org
The Lists were initially published on a monthly basis. Currently available (at April 2012) are
February 1919, Contents March 1919, Contents April 1919, Contents May 1919 , Contents June 1919, Contents July 1919, Contents August 1919, Contents September 1919 Contents October 1919, Contents November 1919, Contents December 1919, Contents
- 1938 January-September, November, December
- 1939 January-August, October-December
- 1940 February-June, August, October, December
- 1941-1943 January, March, May, July, September, November
- 1944 January, March, May, July, October
- 1945 January, April, July.
The above are also available on the website of the of the NLS as Air Force Lists: 1919 and 1938-1945 with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility.
Army Medical Department Report
- Report of the Committee on the Preparation of Army Medical Statistics, and on the Duties To Be Performed by the Statistical Branch of the Army Medical Department 1861 Google Books
- Army Medical Department: Report for the Year... Earlier title Army Medical Department: Statistical Sanitary and Medical Reports for the year... Section: "On The Health of the Troops Serving in India". Year of publication in brackets. Appears to be only in respect of troops in garrisons and to exclude troops in military actions. Earlier volumes Google Books and later volumes Hathi Trust Digital Library and Archive.org
Army Regulations, Equipment, Manuals etc
Admission to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst
- "Regulations respecting admission to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst 1899" page 274 Annals of Sandhurst : a chronicle of the Royal Military College from its foundation to the present day, with a sketch of the history of the Staff College by Major A F Mockler-Ferryman 1900 Archive.org
- Regulations for the Supply of Clothing and Necessaries to the Regular Forces:Revised Army Regulations-Vol. Xi War Office 1881 Archive.org
- Regulations for the Clothing of the Army. Part I.-Regular Forces. Excluding the Special Reserve War Office, 1914. HMSO (A C D Clothing Regs 1079). British Library Online
- Regulations for the Clothing of the Army. Part II.-Special Reserve War Office, 1914. HMSO (A C D Clothing Regs 1087). British Library Online
- Royal warrant and regulations regarding army services: and Explanatory directions for the information and guidance of paymasters and others 1st July 1848 Google Books
- "Pensions for Discharged Soldiers", page 211
- Royal Warrants, Circulars, General Orders, and Memoranda, issued by the War Office and Horse Guards, August 1856- July 1864 by Brevet Major J M Bannatyne 1864 Google Books.
- The Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Army 1 July 1844 3rd edition Google Books; 1 December 1859 Archive.org; 1 January 1868, Volume II including "Discharge of Soldiers", page 287 Google Books; 1 July 1899 Archive.org; Part I October 1889 Hathi Trust. Part II 1889 (scroll to entry) Australian Army website.
- Revised Army Regulations Volume 1: Royal Warrant for the Pay and Promotion, Non-effective Pay, and Allowances of Her Majesty's British Forces serving elsewhere than in India dated 27 December 1870 HMSO Google Books
- Army Regulations: Army Circulars. Based on Circulars 1868-1882 issued by Order of the Secretary of State for War. HMSO, London 1883 Archive.org.
Medical Department/Army Medical Services
- Regulations for the Medical Department of Her Majesty's Army
- Regulations for Army Medical Services HMSO.
- 1890 Part I. Includes Medical Staff; 1890 (updated from 1889 edition) Part II Manual for the Medical Staff Corps. 1894. Archive.org
- Manual for Army Medical Services by William E Riordan, Surgeon Major Medical Staff 1890 Archive.org
- Army Equipment by various Topographical Staff, War Office Google Books
- Part I: Equipment of Cavalry by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards 1864
- Part II: Equipment of Artillery by Major Miller RA c 1864
- Part III-Section 1 Engineers : Equipment of a Company of Engineers by Lieut-Colonel A. C. Cooke RE 1866
- Part IV: Equipment of Military Train by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards c 1865
- Part V: Equipment of Infantry by Captain Martin Petrie 1864
- Part VI: Equipment of Commissariat Staff Corps by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards c 1864
- Part VII :Hospital Equipment for a Battalion of Infantry, Regiment of Cavalry, Battery of Artillery, and a Company of Engineers by Captain Martin Petrie, c 1866
- Manual of Map Reading and Field Sketching 1912 (scroll to entry) Reprinted with additions 1914 by General Staff –War Office. HMSO, London. The book file contains, at the front, and at the back, a catalogue of all HMSO Military Books then available. Website of Australian Army.
- Standing Orders for Inspectors of Army Schools, Examiners and Teachers. 1906. Hathi Trust Digital Library.
The British Indian Military Repository
All volumes are from Google Books
|Volume and Year||Contents||Contents||Contents|
|Volume 1, 1822||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 2, 1823||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 3, 1824||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 4, 1826||Part 1||Part 2||Part 3|
|Volume 5, 1827||Part 1||Unindexed pages139-255||Part 3|
Journal of the Royal United Service Institution
A London publication which generally contained a few articles about India in each edition.
The journals below are from the Google Books, Archive.org and Hathi Trust Digital Library websites.
This journal later changed its name to the Journal of the Royal United Services Institute and some of the journals below may have been catalogued by the online websites under this latter name
Journal of the United Service Institution of India, or USI Journal
A Journal has been published since 1871. The following indexes (pdfs) are available from usiofindia.org : Index Part 1: 1871-1921, Index Part 2: 1922-1970. The Journals are available at the British Library from 1883 (Volume 12).
Archive.org: Volume 21 1892, Contents Note: Some sections, pages 352-478, are missing; Volume 22, 1893 No Contents page; Volume 30, 1901, Contents.
Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India: Volume 39 1910; Volume 40 1911; Catalogued United Service Institution Of India - Possible Journal 1940
Indian Army List
Indian Army Orders/Instructions
Indian Army Orders
- Indian Army Orders. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Based on catalogue details unless otherwise specified.
- 1908 (catalogued Jan,vi Th, 1945), http://www.new.dli.iisc.ernet.in/handle/2015/72282 1910] (catalogued Jan,thired 1855), 1912, 1922, 1923, November 1924, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1933.
- Compendium Of The More Important Army Order 1919. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Full title: Compendium of the More Important Orders of the Government of India, Army Department and Indian Army Orders issued from the 1st August 1914, to the 31st December 1917.
Government Of India: Army Department Army Instruction (Instructions). Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Based on catalogue details. Note some years have multiple files which may, or may not, have different content.
- 1918, 1919, 1920, No.2 Of 1920, 1921, 1922, Index To Army Instructions India January To December 1922, 1923, 2nd Jan.1923, Index To Army Instructions India 1924, 1926
Useful for researching an Officer's career. There have been several version of the Navy List.
- 1782-1814 Steel's Navy List
- 1814 to present day: Official "Navy List"
- 1841-1856 Unofficial "New Navy List" - which often gives biographical details. 
- Note: Many of the digital files contain two separate volumes, which may not be specifically listed below.
The Navy Lists include the Royal Marines, also known as the Royal Marine Forces. At various periods there there the Royal Marines Artillery (RMA), and the Royal Marines Light Infantry (RMLI), later the Royal Marine Light Infantry.
- From the Google Book website
- From the Hathi Trust Digital Library The Navy List from 1814-1875 full view, with editions for 1876-1891 on a restricted access basis, possibly available to those in North America.
- From the Archive.org website
They are also available on the website of the NLS, with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility, as Navy Lists: 1913 to 1944
Currently available (at April 2012), noting that the dates on some editions are not included in the title, are
- 1939 February- September, December
- 1940 February-July, October, December
- 1941 April, June, August, October
- 1942 February, April, June, August, October, December
- 1943 February, April, June, August, October, December
- 1944 February, April, June, October
- 1945 January, April, July
Please note there it is possible there may be several different volumes for a particular date, as there are for Army Lists. The Contents page will generally be at the front of the first volume. There may be an Index at the back of the last volume.
New Annual Army List
Volumes are from the Hathi Trust Digital Library, the Archive.org website,with others from Google Books, and the website of the National Library of Scotland.
The title varied over time: 1840-1853, The New Annual Army List. 1854-1869, The New Annual Army List, and Militia List. 1870-1880, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, and Indian Civil Service List. 1881-1893, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, Yeomanry Cavalry List, and Indian Civil Service List. 1894-1901, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, and Yeomanry Cavalry List. 1902-1903, Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List, and Yeomanry Cavalry List. 1904-1908, Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List, and Imperial Yeomanry List. 1909-1915 Hart's Annual Army List, Special Reserve List and Territorial Force List.
By 1881, the Table of Contents had become more detailed, and it is easier to see the sections which may be relevant for India. In additional to details about the Bengal, Madras and Bombay Armies, which also include Medical Department, Veterinary Department and Ecclesiastical Department details, sections such as Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Staff Abroad also contain information about officers in India. From 1904 the title page stated "Containing dates of commissions, and a summary of the war services of nearly every officer in the Army, Supply &c. Departments, Marine and Indian Army, and Indian local forces." Some editions also contain Indian Civil Service Lists, refer Directories online-India List and India Office List for a separate list. The earlier editions, approximately prior to the early 1860s contain less information relevant to India. Editions from the early 1860s to 1880 contain information which may not be indexed.
- Online Army Lists, from a broken range of dates from 1840 are available at National Library of Scotland on Archive.org. This links displays volumes in the order they were uploaded to Archive.org, and the editions for the earlier years, from 1840, were uploaded first, so appear last on the list.
- Note: All these editions are now also available on the website of the National Library of Scotland, including some editions which do not seem to be available on Archive.org, with a Search facility, either for the entire Hart's collection, individual years, or groups of years. A text version of pages is also available if required.
- Editions from 1840 are available on the HathiTrust Digital Library. From 1876 limited access editions are available, probably accessible by those in North America. All these editions have the advantage that the pages can be rotated.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library has the following editions of A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines 1794-1804 and 1782 and 1811- 1856 (broken range). All these editions have the advantage that the pages can be rotated. Also search in Google Books for other editions of A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines 1778-1855 (incomplete series) and New Army List 1840-1869 (incomplete series). For the latter series, some additional volumes may be found if they are searched for individually.
- Annual Army Lists from 1754 to 1879 are available to download (free of cost) as pdf files from the The National Archives Documents Online: Digital Microfilm, under WO 65 records. For more details see TNA Discovery catalogue record for WO 65.
As an example of the information relating to, or including, the Indian Army, the following links are to the 1913 edition:
Officers of the Indian Army on the Supernumerary List transferred to permanent Civil Employment page 675, Indian Army Cavalry page 678, Indian Army Artillery page 692, Indian Army Sappers and Miners page 694, Indian Army Infantry page 696, Goorkha Regiments page 735, Indian Medical Service page 742 Bengal, Madras, Bombay and Rangoon Ecclesiastical Establishments page 754, War Services of the Officers of the Active List page 757. Indian Army Reserve of Officers and Officers on the Unemployed Supernumerary List pages 1218- 1219, War Service of Officers of the Retired List page 1326, Deaths page 1556, Index page 1561
New Army List
Volumes are from Google Books, and from the Archive.org website. Earlier editions are available online from August 1839, and readers in some countries will be able to access Google Books editions after 1875.
The title of this quarterly publication varied over time: The New Army List 1840-1853. The New Army List and Militia List 1854-1869. The New Army List, Militia List and Indian Civil Service List 1870-1880. The New Army List, Militia List, Yeomanry Cavalry List and Indian Civil Service List 1881-1893. The New Army List, Militia List and Yeomanry Cavalry List 1894-April 1901. The New Army List, Militia List and Imperial Yeomanry List July 1901-Jan. 1909. The New Army List, Special Reserve List and Territorial Force List April 1909-Jan. 1915. by H. G. Hart.
Note: The digital book files below may contain two quarterly editions, each with separate page numbering.
Quarterly Army List
Printed under the Authority of His Majesty’s Stationery Office, who also printed a Monthly Army List. The Monthly Army List is however, not generally available online.
The Quarterly Army Lists in the table following are on Archive.org, from the collection of the National Library of Scotland. They are also available on the website of the NLS, as 1913-1919 - Quarterly Army List with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility.
Note: Quarterly Army Lists only list regular, career officers and not others such as temporary officers and territorial officers who are to be found in the Monthly Army Lists. The National Library of Scotland is digitising some of its collection of Monthly Army Lists which are expected to be available on its website approximately September 2016.
Restricted access, probably accessible to those in North America and some other countries, probably Monthly Lists, including 1920: Hathi Trust Digital Library
The National Library of Scotland at Archive.org has editions from July 1939 to December 1946 - enter "Army List" in search box. They are also available on the website of the NLS, with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility, as 1938-1941 - Half-yearly Army List and 1940-1946 - Quarterly Army List
Minutes of Proceedings of the Royal Artillery Institution
Volumes are from the Google Books and Archive.org websites.
The volumes below are catalogued by Google Books under the title The Journal of the Royal Artillery, which was the title from 1905.
|Volume 1 1858-Contents||Volume 2 1861-Contents||Volume 6 1870-Contents|
- Volume 15 1888 Contents and one article only. "The Expedition to the Ruby Mines of Upper Burma (A Short Sketch)" by Captain W. N. Lloyd, R.A. pdf version, html version ruby-sapphire.com
More editions are available on a restricted viewing basis, probably accessible to those in North America, on the Hathi Trust Digital Library, and Google Books
The title varies: 1827-1828, Naval and Military Magazine ; Jan. 1829-Dec. 1841, The United Service Journal and Naval and Military magazine; Jan. 1842-Apr. 1843, The United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal: May 1843-Dec. 1882. Colburn's United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal; Jan. 1883-Dec. 1887, Colburn's United Service Magazine and Journal of the Army, Navy and Auxiliary Forces; Jan. 1888-Mar. 1890, Colburn's United Service Magazine. The title then became The United Service Magazine, which was published until June 1920. Many of the Google Books are catalogued under the latter title. Most of the links below are from Google Books.
Volume numbers were irregular: Jan. 1829-Dec. 1884 without volume numbering; Jan. 1885-Apr. 1888 called v. 113-119; May 1888-Mar. 1890, v. 119-122 (new ser. v. 1-4); Apr. 1890-Sept. 1900, old ser. v.107-127 (new ser. v. 1-21); Oct. 1900-June 1920, old ser. v. 143-182 (new ser. v. 22-61)
From 1920 the title became The Army Quarterly
|Volume 1, Second Edition 1827-Contents||Volume 2 1827-Index||Volume 3 1828-Index||Volume 4 1828-Index|
*Hathi Trust Digital Library
|1878 Part 3-Contents||1880 Part 3-Contents||Volume 8 New Series October 1893 to April 1894-Contents||Volume 29 New Series April 1904 to September 1904-Contents|
Restricted access, probably accessible by those in North America. Google Books has most editions to 1889 , 1894 ,1895 and 1908. Also with restricted access, the Hathi Trust Digital Library has editions after 1875 including some for the early 1890s: page 1 and page 2
- UK National Archives Research Guides
- rflory. Army List lookup, posts 4 and 10. Great War Forum 26 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.