67th Regiment of Foot
Also known as 67th (South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot
- 1758 2nd Battalion, 20th Regiment of Foot redesignated as the 67th Regiment of Foot
- 1782 renamed the 67th (South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot
- 1881 amalgamated with the 37th North Hampshire Regiment to become 2nd Battalion The Hampshire Regiment
- 1946 became The Royal Hampshire Regiment
- 1992 merged with the Queens Regiment to become The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)
Service in British India
|67th Regiment of Foot||succeeded by||2nd Btn Hampshire Regt|
|1805 India||1881 Madras|
|1817 Mahratta War||1883 Secunderabad|
|1819 India||1885 Burma|
|1858 India||1887 India|
|1913 Mhow||1896 Mooltan|
Our Chronicle: Published Monthly by the 67th (South Hants) Regiment
The first issue was published in Rangoon on 1st Jan 1873, and was continued until at least 1893. Copies are held in the Regimental Museum (see link below). The National Army Museum has editions of Our Chronicle 1873-1885 in its catalogue (no further details given)
Google Books have the following 2 volumes which appear to be accessible by those in North America, and possibly some other countries, but are not generally accessible.
- Our Chronicle: Published Monthly by the 67th (South Hants) Regiment, Issues 1-48
- Our Chronicle: Published Monthly by the 67th (South Hants) Regiment, Issues 49-83.
The Hampshire Regimental Journal
Published from 1905. The British Library has some issues from 1905, but it is unclear what the holding is. The Regimental Museum, refer below, holds issues from 1905-1992. The National Army Museum is another source and the catalogue indicates Volumes 1-33, published 1938, are held, with a few later editions.
- 67th Regiment of Foot Wikipedia
- 67th (the South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot including deployments Regiments.org, an archived site.
- The Royal Hampshire Regiment including deployments: 1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion Regiments.org, an archived site.
- The Hampshire Regiment Wikipedia
- The Royal Hampshire Regiment British Armed Forces & National Service
- The Royal Hampshire Regiment Memorial Garden & Museum including details of the Archive
- The Royal Hampshire Regiment (The Tigers) southernlife.org.uk
- Andover Family History Group
- Hampshire Genealogical Society
- Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment Wikipedia
- The Hampshire Regiment from The Long, Long Trail:The British Army in the Great War. There were Territorial Force battalions in India and Mesopotamia.
- The 67th Regiment of Foot (South Hampshire) in China – 1860 Blog by Phil Curme 17 August 2013 walkingthebattlefields.com
Historical Books Online
- Historical Record of the Sixty - Seventh, or the South Hampshire Regiment of Foot: containing an account of the formation of the regiment in 1758, and of its subsequent services to 1849 by Richard Cannon 1849 Google Books. Indian Service commences page 12 in 1805 in Calcutta
- Memoirs of the Great War by James Racine c 1920s Scribd.com. Pages 70-101 cover his period in India as an officer with the 2/5th Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment in Secunderabad c 1915-1916 until the Battalion was transferred to Egypt. Pdf version available from Archive.org
- Letters from Mesopotamia in 1915 and January, 1916 from Robert Palmer 1916 Archive.org. He went with a draft from the 6th Hants, in India since November 1914, to reinforce the 4th Hants. Both these regiments were part of the Territorial Force. He was killed June 21, 1916, aged 27 years. The initial letters were written in India.