Barsi Light Railway
|Barsi Light Railway|
| [[Image:|150px| ]]|
|1897||Line opened to traffic|
|Constituent companies / lines|
|Major Stations||Barsi Road, Barsi, Pandharpur, Tadwala|
|Successor system / organisation|
|1954||purchased by Indian Railways|
|2' 6" NG||22 miles (1897)|
|202 miles (1927)|
|Associated auxiliary force|
|How to interpret this infobox|
A small, privately-owned and worked narrow gauge (2' 6") railway that initially connected Barsi to the main Bombay-Madras trunk line of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR) at Barsi Road, a distance of 22 miles. Conceived by the ex-GIPR engineer, Everard Calthrop, the Basri Light Railway revolutionised the approach to narrow gauge feeder lines in India, and was immensely successful. By 1927, the line had been extended significantly over 202 route miles.
The line remained in private ownership until 1954 when it was purchased by Indian Railways.
"Barsi Light Railway" Wikipedia.
"Everard Calthrop" Wikipedia.