Bengal and North-Western Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Bengal and North-Western Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
Line of route
Gauge / mileage
Metre gauge 902 miles (1905)
Timeline
1881 Company formed
1884 First section opened to traffic
Key locations
Presidency Bengal
Stations Baharaich, Basti, Bhatni, Mankapur
System agency
1881 Bengal and North-Western Railway
1943 Oudh and Tirhut Railway
How to interpret this infobox
Bengal and North-Western Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
System timeline
Constituent companies / lines
Bengal and North-Western Railway
1890 Tirhoot State Railway
Key locations
Headquarters Gorakhpur
Workshops Gorakhpur, Samastipur (Stores)
Major Stations Benares, Darbhanga, Ghazipur, Gonda, Monghyr, Muzaffarpur
Successor system / organisation
1943 Oudh and Tirhut Railway
System mileage
Metre gauge 1468 miles (1905)
2088 miles (1943)
Associated auxiliary force
Bengal and North Western Railway Battalion
How to interpret this infobox

The Bengal and North-Western Railway (BNWR) was a metre gauge railway, eventually comprising a complicated network of lines on the left (north) bank of the Ganges between Katihar in the east and Lucknow in the west.


History

The BNWR was unusual in that it was one of the very few railways promoted and constructed without Government assistance other than the gift of land, the original contract being signed in 1882.

On 1 January 1943, the Government of India nationalised the BNWR and amalgamated it with the Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway to form the Oudh and Tirhut Railway which subsequently, in 1952, became part of North Eastern Railway, a zone of Indian Railways.