Central Provinces was created in 1861. It was part of the Bengal Presidency and was divided into administrative Divisions and Districts. The capital was Nagpur. In 1903 Berar was placed under the administration of Central Provinces. See Central Provinces and Berar Districts for subdivisions.
The districts of the Central Provinces were:
|Division Central pro||District Name||District Headquarters|
- Central Provinces Wikipedia
- Gazetteers of Central Provinces and Berar originally published c 1910. Gazetteers Department of the Govt of Maharashtra, now an archived website, as the Department appears to no longer exist.
Historical books online
- The Gazetteer of the Central Provinces of India by Charles Grant 1870 Archive.org
- Imperial Gazetteer of India: Provincial Series Central Provinces1908 Archive,org
- Central Provinces District Gazetteers: Bilaspur District Volume A Descriptive 1910 Archive.org (Volume 7)
- Central Provinces District Gazetteers: Chhattisgarh Feudatory States 1909 Archive.org (Volume 10)
- Central Provinces District Gazetteers: Raipur District Volume A Descriptive 1909 Archive.org (Volume 18)
- List Of Inscriptions on Tombs or Monuments in the Central Provinces and Berar by O S Crofton 1932. Digital Library of India. Contents digital file page 11 from Mandla (the previous page appears to be missing). A number of pages are missing at the beginning of the book. The inscriptions commence digital file page 17 (book page 4). Pdf download. Also available on Archive.org which seems to be almost the same file, but contains page 2. The author is stated to be Olive Crofton, wife of a Civil Servant. Crofton, in the Introduction, mentions that the numbers killed by tigers and other animals of the jungle “is considerably larger than would appear from the lists”. This book is also available on LDS microfilm 795967 (Ordering microfilms)
- Routes Central Provinces District 1926. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. This book is most likely a military publication.
- History Of Services Of Gazetted Officers In The Civil Department In The Central Provinces July 1928, 1929, July 1930 Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. (1879 is available on a limited basis on Hathi Trust Digital Library, access depends on the country you are in).
- Indian Statutory Commission:Volume XIII: Memorandum presented by the Government of the Central Provinces to the Indian Statutory Commission His Majesty’s Stationery Office 1930. Hathi Trust Digital Library