In a fashion similar to Birth, marriage and death announcements in the newspapers of today, in the 19th century it was often the custom to make such announcements in the Domestic Occurrences section of publications. Accordingly, for British India, a significant number are to be found in newspapers/journals and almanacs/directories. It should be recognized that such announcements were often made some two years after the event.
Domestic Occurences transcribed and available on FIBIS Search:
- Gentlemans Magazine 1731-1850
- Bombay Almanac 1806-1867
- East India Register 1809-1844
- South Africa Commerical Advertiser 1826-1840
- Times of India an ongoing transcription project of the Times of India Domestic Occurrences, already containing many thousands of records.
- Times of London deaths relevant to India. Complete years: 1785-1804, 1816, 1851, 1854.
- This India List post discusses the use of the different terminology "lady of...", "wife of..."