Welcome to the Fibiwiki Locations Project. The aim of this project is to improve the Fibiwiki content and coverage on locations in British India. If you would like to join the project please add your name to the list of project members.
A lot of the location pages have been created already and are just waiting for the information to be added using the Locations Infobox Template below. For a list of pages aleady created go to the Category:Locations page.
- Eccl - list of Ecclesiastical returns stations, pages to be brought 'up to scratch' as per #Sections to include
Where possible/appropriate, article titles should be standardised with those place names in the Imperial Gazetteer of India (available online at Digital South Asia Library). If necessary, a redirect can be made to an article from an alternative name (see Help:Editing). Alternative versions of a location's name can be listed in a 'spelling variants' section.
|Present Day Details|
Please incorporate a Location Infobox template (a blank example is at the right) when creating locations pages.
- Using a template helps us to provide a consistent appearance to the articles within our project.
These guidelines apply to all infoboxes:
- Most of the fields in each infobox can be left out if desired.
- If adding an image, do not infringe copyright. If in doubt, don't.
- External links (eg to Wikipedia) can be very effective.
- For more about the use of this template, click here. Use your browser's back button to return to this page.
Sections to include
This section is a work in progress - please discuss things to include/remove on the discussion page.
All locations articles should be adapted to the place in question, but the ideal article might include the following elements:
- 1 Location infobox
- 2 Introductory paragraph - (does not need a heading)
- 3 Spelling variants
- Modern name:
- 4 History
- Military history
- 5 Churches and missions
- 6 Cemeteries
- 7 Places of Interest
- 8 Education
- 9 Transport
- 10 Records - (details of any research materials at the British Library or elsewhere)
- 11 FIBIS Resources
- 12 External links - (see below)
- 13 Categories - (see below)
Include anything you think will be helpful to the researcher. Significant places of interest in a location may warrant their own section.
To see a developed location article, visit Cannanore.
Include any quality links you are aware of. Most articles will be able to link to relevant Wikipedia articles and to Imperial Gazetteer of India . Where there are several links, consider organising them into sections (see Calcutta).
Categories should be placed an the end of an article. All locations articles should be listed in Category:Locations, but additional categorisation will be helpful. As most locations are cities, towns or villages, please include a Presidency category. You can copy and paste the text below.
- [[Category:Cities, towns and villages in Madras Presidency]]
- [[Category:Cities, towns and villages in Bengal Presidency]]
- [[Category:Cities, towns and villages in Bombay Presidency]]
Sources for content
Please add additional sources to this initial list of suggested places to find information to flesh out articles.
- Google Books - free pdf copies of many old books.
- Imperial Gazetteer of India - provides histories, descriptions and facts for most locations.
- Wikipedia - good for general facts. Many South Asia locations are covered but information on the colonial period is usually scant.
Do also consider the following which is too often overlooked or forgotten.
- Your own research/knowledge - interesting information or sources you have discovered about a location through your research should be of help to those who come across the same place in their own research.