- British and Indian Armies on the China Coast 1785-1985 by Alan Harfield 1990 is available at the British Library. Includes lists such as “List of Known Recipients of the Hong Kong Plague Medal 1894” and “List of Officers who served with the Hong Kong Regiment 1892-1902”. This link lists some “Military Commanders of Hong Kong and China” from the book (pages 483-484)
- See Hong Kong Government Reports Online, below. A researcher advised that he found details of a relative who worked for the Hong Kong lighthouse service in these online government publications.
- Hong Kong Public Libraries
- Information about the contents of the Old Newspapers data base, and microforms available.
- Newspapers and Periodicals Services
- To access online historical newspapers, from the link, Multimedia Information System (MMIS) select Collection, Digital Collection, then from “Browse Themes”, select “Culture and Society” then “Old HK Newspapers” to view these online. Previously the website advised the online newspapers are in TIFF format, which may require a plug-in. If you cannot see the newspaper images, refer Online books-Digital Library of India for more details of the TIFF format, including plug-ins. The Newspapers available in English are
- China Mail (1866/01/04 – 1961/12/29)，
- Hong Kong Daily Press (1864/01/04 – 1941/09/30)，
- Hong Kong Sunday Herald (1929/01/06 – 1950/10/29)，
- Hong Kong Telegraph (1881/06/16 – 1951/03/30)
- Hong Kong Weekly Press (1895/01/03 – 1909/12/24)
- Note some issues and pages may be omitted
- The BACSA Archive at the British Library holds information on both happy Valley and Stanley cemeteries under file reference Mss Eur F370/81
- David’s Gwulo: Old Hong Kong including
- Deaths Tell The Story Of Life In Old Hong Kong by Louisa Lim August 21, 2012 npr.org. An article about Patricia Lim and the Hong Kong Cemetery
- China Coast Family History University of Bristol Historical Studies Department
- A search facility for a database which contains details of foreign burials in a number of cemeteries in China, covering the 1850s-1949
- Online Directories including some for Hong Kong
- Rudi Butt’s Hong Kong’s First. A blog about historical aspects of Hong Kong
- 1894 Plague
- "The Great Plague of Hong Kong" by E G Pryor Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society (Hong Kong: Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Hong Kong Branch (Hong Kong Branch)) 1975: 61-70. Pdf
- "Colonialism versus Nationalism: The Plague of Hong Kong in 1894" by P T Lee, The Journal of Northeast Asian History, 2013, v. 10 n. 1, p. 97- 128
- The K.S.L.I. and the Hong Kong Plague, 1894. discovershropshire.org.uk. K.S.L.I.: Hong Kong Plague Medal 1894 britisharmedforces.org
- Details of The Whitewash Brigade: The Hong Kong Plague of 1894 “includes all known recipients of the Hong Kong Plague Medal”. www.dixonsmedals.co.uk. Available at the British Library
- 'An unexampled calamity' - The Hong Kong Plague of 1894 by Stuart Braga. Originally in Casa de Macau Australia Newsletter, September 2007 and January 2008 issues. www.casademacau.org.au
- Also see Historical books online, below.
- Britain's Gateway To Troubled China (1932) Short (1 minute) British Pathé video on YouTube. Full title reads: "Hong Kong. Britain's gateway to troubled China. Loyal Indian Troops impress natives with magnificent spectacle of military precision and discipline." (retrieved 15 May 2014)
Second World War
- Hong Kong War Diary : Hong Kong Defenders ,December 1941-August 1945 Includes Indian Army Units and Indian Medical Service
- The Battle of Hong Kong 1941: A note on the literature and the effectiveness of the defence by Lawrence W C Lai, University of Hong Kong , Discussion paper series, July 2000. Pdf.
- Ordnance Map of Hong Kong by Thomas Collinson, 1846 National Library of Scotland.
Historical photographs online
- Photographic panoramas of Hong Kong, Canton, and Macau 1900-1930. University of Cambridge Digital Library.
Historical books online
- The Universities of Hong Kong Libraries Digital Initiatives includes
- Hong Kong Government Reports Online 1842-1941 Click on 'Browse the titles' to see the titles available. Includes the Hong Kong Government Gazette.
- Hong Kong & the West until 1860 Browse the titles
- Restricted access. Online books are available at the website China Through Western Eyes , from the same source. Covers the period until 1911, although the date of publication may be later. Includes titles about missionary work. Unfortunately this database is no longer publicly available.
- The Hongkong Directory: With List of Foreign Residents in China 1859 Google Books
- The Directory & Chronicle for China, Japan, Corea, Indo-China, Straits Settlements, Malay States, Siam, Netherlands India, Borneo, the Philippines, &c. For a range of editions to 1922, see China
- Online Directories from China Coast Family History University of Bristol Historical Studies Department. Mostly these focus on Shanghai, althogh there are some about Hong Kong
- Who's Who in the Far East, 1906-7, June Achive.org
- Narrative of the Voyages and Services of the Nemesis, from 1840 to 1843; and of the Combined Naval and Military Operations in China: Comprising a Complete Account of the Colony of Hong Kong, and Remarks on the Character and Habits of the Chinese from Notes of W[illiam] H[enry] Hall, R N and W D Bernard 1844 Volume I, Volume II Google Books
- "Note on the Island of Hong-Kong" by A R Johnston .HM Deputy Superintendent of Trade, an article from Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Volume 14. January 1, 1844
- Reports from Committees: Mortality of Troops (China) Session 1 February-10 August 1866 Volume XV. Ordered to be printed by The House of Commons 24 July 1866. Google Books.
- The Treaty Ports of China and Japan: A Complete Guide to the Open Ports of Those Countries, Together with Peking, Yedo, Hongkong and Macao. Forming a Guide Book & Vade Mecum for Travellers, Merchants, and Residents in General by William Frederick Mayers, N B Dennys, and Charles King 1867. Note: The maps have not been filmed. Google Books
- English Life In China by Major Henry Knollys, Royal Artillery. 1885 Hathi Trust Digital Library. Also available as a pdf download, Digital Library of India. The first chapter is about Hong Kong.
- Report on the outbreak of bubonic plague in Hongkong, 1894, to the International Congress of Hygiene and Demography held at Budapest 1894 by Dr P B C Ayres, and Dr James A Lawson. Archive.org
- Twentieth century impressions of Hong-kong, Shanghai, and other Treaty Ports of China: their history, people, commerce, industries, and resources by Arnold Wright 1908 Archive.org
- Hong Kong: A short history of the colony and an outline of the present political situation in China by A G M. 3rd edition revised c 1928 (or later) (catalogued as 1900) Archive.org
- Shanghai Lawyer by Norwood F. Allman 1943 Hathi Trust Digital Library. Includes some chapters on internment by the Japanese in Hong Kong during WW2
Hong Kong Journals online The University of Hong Kong Libraries. Click on 'Browse the titles' to see all the titles available. Included are the following:
- Online editions of Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 1961-2007
- "Transactions of the China Medico-Chirurgical Society" [Hong Kong], 1845-46 by H. A. Rydings Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society Volume 13 (1973)
- "Incident between the Hong Merchants and the Super-cargoes of the British East India Company in Canton, 1811" by J. L. Cranmer-Byng Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society Volume 15 (1975)
- "The Colony of Hongkong - From a Lecture on Reminiscences of a long Residence in the East"by Rev. Jas. Legge, D.D., LL.D. The China Review, or notes & queries on the Far East Volume 1 No. 3 (1872)
- "Historical Outline of Medical Missions at Canton, Hongkong and Macao" The China Review, or notes & queries on the Far East Volume 4 No. 5 (1876)
- Who Do You Think You Are? Forum thread Lighthouse keeper in the dark