Indian Midland Railway
|Indian Midland Railway|
| [[Image:|150px| ]]|
|Line of route|
| Bhopal to Cawnpore|
Bina to Katni
Jhansi to Agra
Jhansi to Manikpur
Ait to Kunch (branch)
|Gauge / mileage|
|Broad gauge||807 miles|
|1889||Lines from Jhansi to Gwalior, Kanpur, Manikpur, and Bhopal opened for traffic|
|Stations||Agra, Banda, Bhopal, Cawnpore, Dholpur, Jhansi, Saugor|
|State line worked by GIPR|
|How to interpret this infobox|
The Indian Midland Railway (IMR) was a state agency formed in 1885 to undertake the working of several existing broad gauge(BG) branch lines, and the construction and working of further BG lines centred on Jhansi.
The IMR had a comparatively brief existence before being amalgamated in 1900 with the Great Indian Peninsula Railway(GIPR).
Lines worked and developed by IMR
- Jhansi-Konch-Kalpi Railway; the initial section of IMR, opened 1886.
- Jhansi-Manikpore State Railway; a further section of the IMR, opened in 1889.
- Bina-Katni Railway - a further section of the IMR, opened in 1889.
- Bina-Goona-Baran Railway - opened by IMR, 1889, amalgamated into GIPR, 1900
- Cawnpore-Kalpi-Jhansi Railway - line completed 1888 by IMR; amalgamated into GIPR,1900
Lines worked by IMR at some time
- Bhopal State Railway - opened 1884, initially worked by IMR as Bhopal-Itarsi Railway(Indian State Section); then by GIPR
- Ait-Kunch Branch Railway - opened 189?,Indian State line initially worked by IMR; then by GIPR
- Bhopal-Ujjain Railway - opened c.1895, Indian State line worked by IMR; amalgamated into GIPR, 1900
- Sindia State Railway - worked by Indian Midland, 1890
Refer to FIBIS Fact File #4: “Research sources for Indian Railways, 1845-1947” - available from the Fibis shop. This Fact File contains invaluable advice on 'Researching ancestors in the UK records of Indian Railways' with particular reference to the India Office Records (IOR) held at the British Library
An on-line search of the IOR records relating to this railway  gives many references. The most important being:-
- L/F/5/126 “Indian Midland Railway Co.; Copies of agreements with the Secretary of State etc; 1885-1903”
- L/AG/46/14 “Records of the Indian Midland Railway Company; 1882-1911”
- L /AG/46/32 “Records of the India Office relating to the Indian Midland Railway Company; 1885-1911”
- L/F/8/13/915/1 “Indian Midland Railway, Preliminary agreement Secretary of State; 1885”
- Archibald Crellin Cregeen from the Public Works Department(PWD) Railway Branch, was in 1886 appointed IMR Agent and Chief Engineer. This position he held until 1888.
- Hugh Lewin Monk,1887 March, deployed from the Railway Branch of the PWD to the Indian Midland Railway Company, on loan from State Railways until 1888 (March)
- George Barclay Bruce from 1894 was the Consulting Engineer to the IMR and the GIPR, based in London, in partnership with Robert White .
- British Library “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved 23 Jan 2016
- Grace's Guide "George Barclay Bruce"; Retrieved on 24 Jun 2016