Colonel James Skinner CB (1778–1841) was the son of an officer of the British East India Company and an Indian mother. He entered the Mahratta army and served with distinction under Pierre Cuillier-Perron. When all Anglo-Indians were dismissed at the outbreak of the 2nd Maratha War, he joined the British Indian Army and raised a regiment of irregular cavalry calleed Skinner's Horse. He assisted Colonel Monson during his retreat and was present at the Siege of Bhurtpore 1805. He was rewarded with a jagir worth Rs 20,000 a year. He built St James' Church in Delhi where he was buried.
Historical Books on-line
Military Memoir of Lieut-Col. James Skinner CB by James Baillie Fraser 1851. (Google Books)