Kasauli

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Kasauli
Christ Church Kasauli.jpg
Presidency: Bengal
Coordinates: 30.9°N 76.96°E
Altitude: 1795m (5889 ft)
Present Day Details
Place Name: Kasauli
State/Province: Himachal Pradesh
Country: India
Transport links

Kasauli is a small town in the foot hills of the Himalayas. This India List post advises that Kasauli, together with Dagshai and Subathu is one of a number of hill depots created by the British army in the mid-19th century for the families and some of the troops to escape to in the hot weather which was so unhealthy in the plains. Up to at least 1870 it was used as a convalescent depot [1]

The town sits on the ridge of a wooded hill on the road between Chandigarh and Simla. Nearby towns include Dagshai, Subathu and Kalka.

The Lawrence Military Asylum, now the Lawrence School is situated in nearby Sanawar.

Spelling variants

Modern name: Kasauli Variants: Kussowlee/Kussowlie/Kasowli/Kasooli

Railways

The nearest station is a few miles east at Dharampur on the Kalka-Simla Railway. The station at Kalka is a several miles south of Kasauli.

Churches

  • Christ Church - Anglican (pictured). In 2001, The Tribune described the church as somewhat dilapidated but noted the high quality fittings and glass.[2]

Cemeteries

BACSA has files on Kasauli in their British Library archive, details here. The photographs show the wooded, hillside cemetery in poor condition.

Institutions

The Pasteur Institute, for treatment of rabies, and the Central Research Institute, for research into tropical diseases, were opened at Kasauli in July 1900. In 1905 the control of the institutes was separated, but combined again in 1911. [3]

Notes

  1. page 373, Abstract of the proceedings of the Sanitary Commissioner with the Government of India, for the months of January, February, March and April 1870 Google Books
  2. Sharma, Ambika "Architecture of Kasauli churches" The Tribune (Chandigarh), March 2, 2001 [Accessed 25th Feb 2010]
  3. British Medical Journal 7 February 1914 [Accessed 13 June 2011]

External links