McLeod's Light Railways
|McLeod's Light Railways|
| [[Image:|150px| ]]|
|1915||First line opened|
|1967||Last line nationalised|
|Constituent companies / lines|
|Successor system / organisation|
|Some lines taken over by Indian Railways|
|2' 6" NG||152 miles (estimated)|
|Associated auxiliary force|
|How to interpret this infobox|
McLeod & Company was the subsidiary of a London company of managing agents, McLeod Russell & Co. Ltd, formed to build and operate four narrow gauge railways (McLeod's Light Railways) in and around Calcutta.
The lines continued to operate independently after Independence in 1947, the last being transferred to Indian Railways in 1967.
- The Krishnager-Nabadwip Light Railway was originally owned by McLeod and Company and transferred to Eastern Railway in 1966. It was a 28 km (17 miles) line with 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) gauge lines. It has recently been converted to 1,676 mm(5 ft 6 in).
- The Jessore-Jhenidah Railway, opened 1913-14. Owned and worked by Private Co., together with Kotchandpur Branch Railway; apparantly taken over by McLeod and Company , 1913
"Bankura-Damodar Railway" Evolution of SER over the years.
"Kalighat-Falta Railway" Wikipedia.
"Non-IR Railways in India" Indian Railways Fan Club.
"History of Railway construction" Indian Railways Service of Engineers [see both "BDR Railway" and "McLeod & Co" in table].