Information on Merchants and Bankers, Trade and Commerce.
- Merchants and Bankers Dan Byrnes’ site has many references to India related merchants and trade.
- Other parts of the site can be accessed via Merchant Networks. A search facility is available at the bottom of the page. India related information includes:
- The email listings, both old and new also contain references to India.
- Mussoorie Merchant:The Indian Letters of Mauger Fitzhugh Monk 1828 - 1849 published by Pagoda Tree Press
- A Short History of British India Steam Navigation 1856-1956 from B I Ship. Contains details of the firm of Mackinnon, Mackenzie & Co, and the establishment of The Calcutta & Burmah Steam Navigation Co Ltd which became the British India Steam Navigation Co
- "Routes into Networks: The Structure of English Trade in the East Indies, 1601-1833" by Emily Erikson and Peter Bearman 2004. Columbia University Working Papers Series
- Review of the book The Trading World of Asia and the English East India Company, 1660-1760 by K. N. Chaudhuri. Originally published 1978, reprinted 2006. Look at the Contents Available from Amazon.co.uk through the FIBIS Shop. The 1978 edition is available at the British Library
- Indian banking Wikipedia
- "Who Controls India’s Economy? A Continuing Pattern of Concentration of Wealth" by Ashoka Mehta The New International, March-April 1951 www.marxists.org
Historical books online
- Travels in India by Jean Baptiste Tavernier, baron of Aubonne, tr. from the original French edition of 1676, with a biographical sketch of the author, notes, appendices, etc., by V. Ball. 1889 Volume 1, Volume 2 Archive.org
- A new account of the East Indies by Alexander Hamilton 1744 Volume 1, Volume 2 Google Books
- A philosophical and political history of the settlements and trade of the Europeans in the East and West Indies by Abbé Guillaume-Thomas-François Raynal 1804 edition, first published in an English translation 1783 Volume 1,Volume 2 (out of 6 volumes) Google Books
- "East Indies" from The Universal Cambist, and Commercial Instructor: being a general treatise on exchange, including the monies, coins, weights and measures of all trading nations and their colonies : with an account of their banks and paper currencies, Volume 1 by Patrick Kelly 1811 Google Books
- Oriental commerce: containing a geographical description of the principal places in the East Indies, China, and Japan, with their produce, manufactures, and trade by William Milburn 1813 Google Books
- Volume 1. Contents, Volume 1. India commences Chapter 12, page 154. Volume 2, Contents, Volume 2
- 1825 revised edition, Contents by William Milburn and Thomas Thornton Google Books
- Useful Tables, forming an Appendix to the Journal of the Asiatic Society: part the first, Coins, Weights, and Measures of British India by James Prinsep 1834 Google Books
- Sketch of the commercial resources and monetary and mercantile system of British India: with suggestions for their improvement, by means of banking establishments 1837 Google Books
- The rise, progress, and present condition of banking in India, Index by Charles Northcote Cooke 1863 Google Books
- A Financial Chapter in the History of Bombay City 1864-65 by Dinsha Edulji Wacha 2nd Edition 1910 Archive.org. Includes the failure of the Bank of Bombay.
- "Commerce and Companies": being a reprint from "The Pioneer", from August 1884 to September 1885 1885 Archive.org
- "Commerce and Trade" page 555 The Indian Empire, its People, History, and Products by William Wilson Hunter 2nd Edition 1886 Archive.org Contents
- The history of the Bank of Bengal: an epitome of a hundred years of banking in India by CP Symes Scutt 1904 Archive.org
- Businesses in Calcutta c 1917 from Bengal and Assam, Behar and Orissa : their history, people, commerce and industrial resources by Somerset Playne , J W Bond 1917 Archive.org
- Early European Banking in India : With some reflections on present conditions by H Sinha,1927 may be downloaded as a pdf from GIPE, Pune Digitised Books (Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE), Pune)
- Life Assurance In India by P.A.S. Mani 1950 Archive.org
- British Agency Houses in India are mentioned page 65 Merchants to Multinationals: British Trading Companies in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries by Geoffrey Jones 2002 Preview Google Books