From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
British Infantry Barracks Wellesley Mhow.jpg
Presidency: Bengal
Coordinates: 22.548408°N, 75.761392°E
Altitude: 556 m (1,824 ft)
Present Day Details
Place Name: Mhow
State/Province: Madhya Pradesh
Country: India
Transport links
Rajputana-Malwa Railway

Mhow was founded in 1818 by John Malcolm as a cantonment town. It is still a major location of the Indian Army. In 2003 its name was changed to Dr Ambedkar Nagar after a early political leader.

There was an Indian Boys Depot in Mhow which trained Boy Trumpeters, including Anglo Indian boys, c 1936. The top graduate was rewarded by being placed in the Royal Horse Artillery. [1] It is not known whether this was a Royal Artillery Boys Depot

There was an internment camp at Mhow, for Germans residing in India, during the Second World War.[2]

Spelling variants

Modern name: Dr Ambedkar Nagar
Variants: Mhow, Mohow

FIBIS Resources


  • Sacred Heart Church
  • St Anne's Church
  • St Anthony's Church built in 1892 [3]

External links

Historical books online

  • "Mhow" Imperial Gazetteer of India, Volume 17, page 314.
  • "Mhow" page 466 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 At this time, Mhow was a cantonment for the Bombay Army.
  • From Semaphore to Satellite The memoirs of Major General David Horsfield, Royal Signals contains two chapters on Mhow during 1942-1944. British Signal Training Centre STC(B) was located in Mhow. The Officer Cadet Wing, which was part of it, received its input from Officer Cadet Training Centres in England as well as those at Dehra Dun, Bangalore and Mhow itself in India.


  1. Pages 122-123, Pick up your Parrots and Monkeys: The Life of a Boy Soldier in India by William Pennington 2003
  2. Page 25 A Soldier's Life in War and Peace by Maj.Gen A. S. Naravane Google Books ISBN 81-7648-437-7
  3. St Anthony's Church bloggerdevkumar