34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse
Known as The Poona Irregular Horse in the Bombay Army
Known as the 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse in the Indian Army
- 1817 raised as The Auxillary Horse
- 1818 became The Poona Auxiliary Horse
- 1847 became The Poona Irregular Horse
- 1861 became 1st Regiment of Poona Horse
- 1862 became The Poona Horse
- 1885 became 4th Bombay Cavalry (Poona Horse)
- 1890 became 4th (Prince Albert Victor's Own) Bombay Cavalry (Poona Horse)
- 1903 became 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse
- 1921 became 33rd/34th Cavalry
- 1922 became 17th Queen Victoria's Own Poona Horse
- 1927 became The Poona Horse (17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry)
- 1947 allocated to India on Partition
- 1950 became The Poona Horse (17 Horse)
First World War
The regiment served on the Western Front during the First World War, The campaign during 1914-1915 is described in the published diary of Captain Grimshaw, which includes a graphic account of the actions and death of the regiment's VC winner, Frank de Pass.
- Poona Horse Wikipedia
- Victorian Wars Forum thread about the uniform of the 4th Bombay Cavalry (Poona Horse), includes an illustration.
- Poona Horse Regimental Association, an archived website, including
- Background to service of Colonel Henry Phillipps,2nd Bombay Light Cavalry, Poona Horse and Bombay Staff Corps to include photographs showing details of uniform website of Fred Larimore at email@example.com
- Lieutenant Frank de Pass nam.ac.uk. Lieutenant Frank de Pass of the 34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse was the first Jewish recipient of the Victoria Cross (VC) and also the first Indian Army officer to win the award in the First World War. It was awarded for conspicuous bravery near Festubert, in the Artois region of France on the western front, on the 24th November 1914.
Historical books online
- The Poona Horse, 17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry published 1933 may be read online on the Digital Library of India website. Includes the histories of both the 33rd QVO and 34th Poona Horse
- Broomfield, Steven. Indian Cavalry Officer, 1914-15 Great War Forum 25 April 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2016. The published diary of Captain Roly (R.W.W.) Grimshaw.
- Victorian Wars Forum thread