Punjab Northern State Railway
Punjab Northern State Railway(PNSR)
The route of what became the PNSR, was first surveyed in 1857 and years of political and military debate followed as described under Lahore & Peshawar Railway .
Finally, following further exchanges, the line was constructed by the of Government of India(GoI). The Punjab Northern State Railway(PNSR) was created in 1807-71 to construct and operate the raiway from Lahore to Peshawar. The line was finally opened in 1876 and was the first railway in India to have been taken under GOI control.
Francis Joseph Edward Spring was deployed from the Indian Imperial Civil Service's engineering section in 1873 as Consulting Engineer for the survey of the PNSR and the construction of various parts of that Railway and Bridges. He remained attached to the PNSR until 1878.
- Jhelum Bridge, over the River Jhelum at Jelum, started in 1871 by the British engineer William St. John Galwey and opened in 1873
- Alexandra Bridge, over the River Chenab between Wazirabad and Gujraat Pakistan. Construction started in 1871 and opened 1876 by Edward VII the King-Emperor when he was Prince of Wales.
- Ravi Bridge, over the River Ravi situated between Sadiq Pura, Lahore and Shahdara Bagh. The construction work on this bridge was started in 1871 and completed in 1876.
- R/V/24/3590; "Public Works Department: Railways" which includes "Administration report on the construction of the Punjab Northern State Railway, 1877/78 and 1878/79”
The following from the Railway Branch of the Public Works Department were deployed to the PNSR
- Henry Francis Storey, 1868-78, Employed on the construction of the Alexandra Bridge over the Chenab river (
- Henry Thomas Geoghegan, 1868, Executive Engineer .
- Robert Trefusis Mallet, 1868, Executive Engineer .
- Hugh Lewin Monk, 1870-73, Assistant Engineer 
- Horace Bell, 1874, Executive Engineer during Construction 
- James Condor, 1875, Executive Engineer .
- Thomas Gracey Col. R.E., 1879, Engineer-in-Chief Pindi-Kohat Section. .
- Frederick Lewis Dibblee, 1879-80, PNSR Engineer-in-Chief, Jhelum division; later Superintending Engineer, Rawal-Pindi(Rawalpindi) section . 
- “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved 27 Apr 2016
- "Grace's Guide - Henry Francis Storey”; Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 501 (pdf page 464) Retrieved on 18 May 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 560 (pdf page 523 Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- British Library - "Photographs Album details for shelfmark Photo 1085/9"; Retrieved 30 May 2016
- "Grace's Guide - Horace Bell”; Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 465 (pdf page 428) Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 506 (pdf page 469) Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- Biography "Life of Frederick Lewis Dibblee"; Retrieved on 30 May 2016