Following territorial acquisitions made by the East India Company as part of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824, the Straits Settlements, as a territory, was established in 1826. In South-East Asia, it consisted of:
The Straits Settlements came under the Bengal Presidency.
Ecclesiastical Returns: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials at the British Library. Prince of Wales Island [Penang], Malacca and Singapore 1799-1829 in IOR N/8. The LDS film number for these records is 498606, item 2. Returns are continued in the Bengal returns 1830-1868.
The Straits Settlements factory records can be viewed at the British Library. The reference is IOR/G/34. These records have been microfilmed, along with other related India Office holdings, and are available at various international locations, including the National Library of Australia.
A good list of official records held in various collections can be found on the A Sense of History: a select bibliography on the history of Singapore page on the National University of Singapore's website.
- Straits Settlements Wikipedia
- Straits Settlements Association - online article on National Library of Singapore's Infopedia
- Straits Settlements Postcards (1890 - 1946) 20 colonial era postcards nominated for inclusion in the UNESCO Memory of the World Register (from the National Archives of Malaysia)
- Official website of the Malaysian Dutch Descendants Project includes History of the Dutch and Dutch-Eurasians in Malaysia
- Has Somerset Maugham promoted Malaysia more than Shahrukh Khan? by Oscar the Grouch. The short stories by W. Somerset Maugham set in Malaysia and Borneo, written during the 1920s and 1930s, were typically concerned with the lives of the British imperial colonist. Includes details of a murder in 1911 in Malaya on which one of the stories is thought to be based.
Historical books online
- Also see Malaysia
- Political and Statistical Account of the British Settlements in the Straits of Malacca: Viz. Pinang, Malacca, and Singapore, with a History of the Malayan States on the Peninsula of Malacca by T J Newbold 1839 Google Books Volume I, Volume II
- Straits Settlements, page 718 A Gazetteer of Southern India: with the Tenasserim Provinces and Singapore by Pharoah &Co 1855 Google Books
- The Directory & Chronicle for China, Japan, Corea, Indo-China, Straits Settlements, Malay States, Siam, Netherlands India, Borneo, the Philippines, &c. For a range of editions to 1922, see China