Tanjore District Board Railway
The Tanjore District Board raised funds for the construction of a railway 103 miles in length and the first section Mayavaram Mutupet Railway opened with a section from Mayavaram of 31 miles(50km) in 1890 and reaching Mutupet in 1894 (54 miles); the line was further extended reaching Arantanji in 1903 (100 miles). Further extensions and branches were planned but postponed due to the war. 
The Tanjore District Board Railway became the pattern of District Board Railways and was shortly followed by the Kistna District Board which opened the Bezwada-Masulipatam Railway in 1908. Later followed by Podanur-Pollachi Railway(Coimbature D.B); Tenali-Repalle Railway (Guntur D.B.).The Tanjore District Board Railway was the first District Board Railway, opened in 1890 and was worked by the South Indian Railway(SIR).