The Rifle Brigade
- 1800 raised as an Experimental Corps of Riflemen by Colonel Coote-Manningham and Lt-Col the Hon. William Stewart
- 1802 redesignated the 95th Regiment of Foot, the 95th Rifles
- 1816 became The Rifle Brigade
- 1823 became The Prince Consort's Own Rifle Brigade
- 1958 renamed the 3rd Green Jackets Regiment of the Green Jackets Brigade.
- 1966 amalgamated to become 3rd Battalion Royal Green Jackets Regiment
- 2007 became the 4th Battalion of The Rifles.
Service in British India
A thread from the 2nd Battalion 95th Rifles Forum provides the following details
- Dec 1911 2/RB stationed at Fort William, Calcutta.
- Jan 1912 2/RB form guard of honour for King's departure from Calcutta.
- Jan 1912, 2/RB trained to Pindi
- Feb 1912 Brigade training and practice in hill Warfare in Baracao, "some 15 miles towards Murree".
- Oct 1912 2/RB march to Rawal Pindi.
- 1913, Kuldana, Murree and Rawal Pindi. Kuldana to West ridge Nov 1913
- 1914 In Murree hills, expected to sail for England Oct 29 in Dongola. Telegram to embark arrives Aug 26. Aug 29 all baggage in Pindi. Sept 02, left Kuldana, Sept 06, arrived Pindi. Trained to Bombay, arrive Sept 08. Embarked S.S. Somali, same day. Landed Liverpool Oct 22 1914. The Dongola carried the Berkshires from India.
- 1857 Indian Mutiny
- 1864 Mohmand Expedition
- 1889 India
- 1892 Jullunder
- 1894 Peshawar
- 1897 Kuldana
- 1897 Tochi Valley Expedition
- 1901 Meerut
- 1873 India
- 1878 Afghanistan
- 1881 North West Frontier
- 1885 Jhansi
- 1885 Calcutta
- 1888 Dinapore
- 1888 Burma
- 1913 Dagshai
The Rifle Brigade Chronicle was published annually from 1891, for the year 1890, and is available at the British Library. Six editions are available to read online, refer below.
- The Rifle Brigade Wikipedia
Green Jackets Brigade Wikipedia
- Royal Green Jackets Wikipedia
The Rifles Wikipedia
- The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own including deployments: 1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Battalion, 4th Battalion Regiments.org, an archived site.
- The Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Museum covers the 43rd, 52nd and 60th Regiments and the Rifle Brigade
- Photograph of 2nd Battalion “B” Company’s Football Team. Winners of the Minerva Challenge Cup, Calcutta 1911 posted in a thread from 2nd Battalion 95th Rifle Regiment of Foot Re-enactment Group Forum
Historical books online
- The History of the Rifle Brigade (the Prince Consort's Own) formerly the 95th by Sir William H. Cope 1877 Indian Service 1857, page 347 Archive.org
- "Record of the services of the Rifle Brigade, in India in 1857 and 1858" Colburn's United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal, 1871 Part 3, pages 554-560 and 1872 Part 1, page 59-63 Google Books and Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- The Rifle Brigade Century: An Alphabetical List of the Officers of the Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own) (Regular Battalions) from 1800 to 1905 1905 Archive.org
- The Rifle Brigade Chronicle for
- 1890 1891
- 1895 (Sixth Year) 1896
- 1897 (Eighth Year ) 1898
- 1901 (Twelfth Year) 1902
- 1904 (Fifteenth Year) 1905
- 1905 (Sixteenth Year) 1906. All years from Archive.org