Waiting for review
PLEASE NOTE: This is a temporary holding page for titles submitted without review. These titles will be removed from this page once a review is submitted or if they are not reviewed within six months.
If you have read any of the following titles and are prepared to submit a review this would be most appreciated, as the entry can then be moved to the appropriate reading list. .
Contributors wishing to add titles to the Recommended Reading Lists should send these together with a short review to the Webmaster for consideration. Please take the time to say what the title is about and why it is recommended using the the guidelines as a basis for your entry
- Stones of Empire, Morris, Jan and JJ Cotton. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1983. (Title transferred November 2014)
- Splendors of the Raj (British Architecture in India 1660 -1947), Davis, Philip. London, John Murray (Publishers)Ltd, 1985. (Title transferred November 2014)
- The Indian Metropolis, Evenson, Norma. New Haven, Yale University Press, 1989. (Title transferred November 2014)
- Vice in the Barracks: Medicine, the Military and the Making of Colonial India, 1780-1868 by Erica Wald 2014 Preview Google Books. (Title added August 2014)
- The Road to Kabul: the Second Afghan War 1878-1881 by Brian Robson 1986 ISBN 1862271968 (Title added June 2014)
- Maiwand: The Last Stand of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment in Afghanistan, 1880 by Richard J. Stacpoole-Ryding from Anglo Afghan War. (Title transferred July 2014)
- Tel El-Kebir 1882 - Wolseley's Conquest of Egypt by Donald Featherston Osprey 1993 (limited view Google Books)(Title transfrered July 2014)
- British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography by Harold E Raugh (Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2008). (Title transferred July 2014)
- Khartoum, The Ultimate Imperial Adventure by Michael Asher, Penguin 2006 ISBN 978-0-14-025855-4 (Title added July 2014
- Indian Army In East Africa 1914-1918 by S D Pradhan published in India in 1991. Google Books ISBN 10: 8185135533 / ISBN 13: 9788185135533 (added June 2014)
- Surgery on Trestles by R.Campbell Begg published December 1967. New Zealand Surgeon R Campbell Begg, served as a medical officer in the 20th British Field Ambulance under the 7th Division in Mesopotomia, The book covers his service in Mesopotamia after the fall of Kut in 1916. (Title added August 2014)
- "Hodson's Horse: 1857-1922" by Major F.G. Cardew. Reprinted Uckfield, East Sussex: Naval & Military Press. 2006 (402pp)- addition of colored maps. (added July 2014)
- Details of the book Poles in India 1942-1948: Second World War Story. Available at the British Library (Title transferred July 2014)
- Details of the book The Second Homeland: Polish Refugees in India by Anuradha Bhattacharjee 2012. Available at the British Library. Originally written as a Ph D thesis Polish Refugees in India 1942-48 University of Pune, 2006. (Title transferred July 2014)
- Article: Second Thoughts: Kindness remembered by Navtej Sarna December 3, 2012 The Hindu (Title Transferred July 2014).
- The Indian Metropolis, Evenson, Norma. New Haven, Yale University Press, 1989. (Title transferred July 2014)
- Details of the book, (webpage now archived) A Guide to Military Temperance Medals of the British Army and Royal Navy by David A. Harris. 2nd Edition The book includes chapters on the Army Temperance Association India (ATAI), the Royal Army Temperance Association: India/Home (RATA) and the Indian Army Temperance Association Title transferred October 2014)
- A Nursing Sister in Baluchistan by J M Morris (1932) No Preview Google Books. Experiences at a mission hospital in Quetta from 1921. Available at the British Library.
- Religion, Caste, and Gender: Missionaries and Nursing History in South India by Meera Abraham (1996) No Preview Google Books. Available at the British Library.
- Links of Love: a Centenary of British Links with the Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India by C Howes (2000) No Preview Google Books. Available at the British Library.
- Tales from the Inns of Healing: Of Christian Medical Service in India, Burma and Ceylon prepared under the direction of the Executive Committee of the Christian Medical Association of India, Burma and Ceylon 1942. Available at the British Library
- Nursing History and the Politics of Welfare edited by A M Rafferty, J Robinson, R Elkan (1997) has a chapter called "Rescue and Redemption : the rise of female medical missions in colonial India during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries" by Rosemary Fitzgerald Limited View Google Books page 63. Available at the British Library.
- Stolen Daughters, Virgin Mothers: Anglican Sisterhoods in Victorian Britain by Susan Mumm (1999) Limited View Google Books gives more details about these three Orders. Available at the BL.
- The Economic Development of India by Vera Anstey (first published 1929, reprinted 1977) mentions nurse training on page 81 Limited View Google Books
- Our Viceregal Life in India, Volume I by Marchioness of Dufferin And Ava (2008) references Calcutta hospitals in 1885 (Limited View Google Books).
- The Maturing Sun: an Army Nurse in India 1942-1945 by A Bolton (1986). Available at the BL No Preview Google Books
- Sister Sahibs; the VAD's with the 14th Army, 1944-46 by M Robertson (1987). Available at the BL No Preview Google Books
- Catch Me a Nightingale by Joan Ash (1991). Available at the BL No Preview Google Books includes wartime nursing experience in India.
- This link describes the book Sisters of the Raj by Valerie Bonham
(Above titles transferred June 2014 as awaiting review)
Jewish Community in India
The following books related to Jews in India are currently available :
Who Are the Jews of India By Nathan Katz. Publication date November 2000. Of all the Diaspora communities, the Jews of India are among the least known and most interesting. This readable study, full of vivid details of everyday life, looks in depth at the religious life of the Jewish community in Cochin, the Bene Israel from the remote Konkan coast near Bombay, and the Baghdadi Jews, who migrated to Indian port cities and flourished under the British Raj.
Ruby of Cochin : An Indian Jewish Woman Remembers By Ruby Daniel. The autobiography of a Jewish woman from Cochin.
Bene Israel of India : Some Studies By Benjamin J. Israel. Ranges over the history, religious evolution, some social and deomographic aspects of the life of the community.
India's Bene Israel : A Comprehensive Inquiry and Sourcebook By Shirley Berry Isenberg.
The Sephardic Table : The Vibrant Cooking of the Mediterranean Jews-A Personal Collection of Recipes from the Middle East, North Africa and India By Pamela Grau Twena. From her Iraqi husband's extended family, Pamela Grau Twena coaxed out recipes that had been passed through generations but never written down. The result is an inviting collection of more than 125 Sephardic Jewish favorites for everyday meals, Sabbath suppers, and holidays. These inspired kosher recipes will appeal to all food lovers.
(Above titles transferred July 2014)