33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry
- 1820 raised as 3rd Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry by Major Peter Delamotte
- 1861 became 3rd Regiment of Bombay Silladar Light Cavalry
- 1861 became 3rd Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry
- 1876 became 3rd (The Queen's Own) Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry
- 1903 became 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry
- 1921 amalgamated with 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse to become 33rd/34th Cavalry
- 1922 became 17th Queen Victoria's Own Poona Horse
- 1927 became The Poona Horse (17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry)
- 1947 allocated to India on Partition
- 1950 became The Poona Horse (17 Horse)
First World War
Regimental History: With the 33rd “Q.V.O.” Light Cavalry in Mesopotamia edited by Capt E S J Anderson (ed) 1915. Printed in Quetta for private circulation. Available at the British Library. Also available in a reprint edition which is available online on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, refer Historical books online, below.
- The Poona Horse Wikipedia
- The Poona Horse Regimental Association now an archived website
- Listen to the 1985 interview with Henry Edward Shortt (born 1887) Imperial War Museums. British officer who enlisted at the outbreak of war and served as Medical Officer with the Indian Medical Service attached to 33rd Cavalry Regt in India and Mesopotamia, 1914-1918.
Historical books online
- Historical Records Of The Services Of The 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry Archive.org, mirror version from the Digital Library of India. No date of publication is provided, but it is c 1913.
- With the 33rd “Q.V.O.” Light Cavalry in Mesopotamia edited by Capt E S J Anderson is available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available as an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, (located in World War II/Military books/Britain).
- The Poona Horse, 17th Queen Victoria's Own Cavalry published 1933. Includes the histories of both the 33rd QVO and 34th Poona Horse
- With The 33rd “Q.V.O.” Light Cavalry In Mesopotamia Naval & Military Press.