The Duke of Wellington's service in India
Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, KP, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS (1769-1852) was an Anglo-Irish soldier and statesman. He arrived in India in 1797 as Colonel of the 33rd Regiment of Foot and took a significant part in the 4th Mysore War after which he was appointed Governor of Seringapatam and Mysore. This was followed by his successful Campaign against Dhoondia Waug. He was then given command of the army fighting the 2nd Maratha War and won a series of decisive victories. He returned to England in 1804.
Historical books online
- The Military and Political Life of Arthur Wellesley: Duke of Wellington by Ingram Cooke & Co 1852 Chapters II & III Indian Campaigns archive.org
- Supplementary Despatches and Memoranda of Field Marshal Arthur, Duke of Wellington, K. G. India 1797-1805 Google Books
- Volume 1: April 11, 1797- June 6, 1800 1858, Volume 2: June 6, 1800 to December 11, 1801 1858,
- Volume 3: December 14, 1801 to February 14 1803 1859, Volume 4: February 15 1803 to March 1805 1859
- Wellington : the Years of the Sword by Elizabeth Longford 1969. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library. The India period commences page 42.
- Architects of Empire : the Duke of Wellington and his Brothers by John Kenneth Severn 2007. Archive.org Lending Library.