Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Assam Regiment was raised on 15 June 1941 in Shillong by Lt Col Ross Howman to meet the claim of the then undivided State of Assam for its own fighting unit and to counter the threat of the Japanese invasion of India.
Regimental History and Archives
- The History of the Assam Regiment: Volume 1 1941 - 1947 compiled by Captain Peter Steyn - Calcutta : Orient Longmans, 1959. Available online, refer below.
- Centre of South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge holds the LLOYD JONES (D.E.) Papers which contain many items relating to the Assam Regiment
Historical books online
- The History of the Assam Regiment: Volume 1 1941 - 1947 by Captain Peter Steyn 1959 Archive.org.
- British and Indian Army Units awarded the Battle Honour of Kohima mod.uk, now an archived webpage.
- Centre of South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge catalogue entry “Handlist of Papers – L” . Scroll down to the LLOYD JONES (D.E.) Papers