|Altitude:||266 m (873 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
Campbellpur was the headquarters of Attock District in the Rawalpindi Division of Punjab Province during the British period. Now called Attock, it is a city located off the Grand Trunk (GT) Road. It is not to be confused with the town of Attock (or Attock Khurd) on the banks of the River Indus.
Although Wikipedia states it was founded in 1908 as Campbellpur City, it appears that the cantonment was established much earlier when barracks were built at Campbellpore c1857-1858.
A Machine Gun School was established at Campbellpur during the First World War.
Modern name: Attock (1985)
A description of Campbellpore in 1908 advises that it is situated on the North Western Railway and connected by a rough, unmetalled road, 11 miles long, to the Grand Trunk Road.
Campbellpore Imperial Gazeteer of india
- ↑ Wikipedia, Attock version accessed 1st March 2010
- ↑ Nine years on the north-west frontier of India: from 1854-1863, page 344 by Sir Sydney Cotton 1868 Google Books
- ↑ See 25th Motor Machine Gun Battery (Calcutta Volunteers), which quotes from Chota Sahib... You've Had a Busy Day, the autobiography of Charles Nida.
- ↑ Imperial Gazetteer of India : Provincial Series Punjab Volume II The Lahore, Rawalpindi and Multan Divisions and Native States, page 184 1908 Archive.org