Difference between revisions of "Cawnpore Tramways"
(New page replacing 'Cawnpore Tramways and General Electric Works')
Revision as of 16:34, 24 March 2020
Cawnpore, one of India’s smallest cities, is situated on the right bank of the Ganges. The city was comparatively neglected, but had grown as a manufacturing and commercial centre. Also a significant grain market as it was situated on the Ganges and having its good mainline rail connections
Cawnpore Municipality Conservancy Tramway
From 1894 refuse from the city was transported to incinerators by means of a steam tramway, It is thought that the conservancy tramway formed the basis of the electric public tramway that started operation in 1905 see separate page for further details.
Cawnpore Tramways and General Electric Works
In 1904 an application was made by Messrs. Begg, Sutherland and Co of Cawpore, with the consent of the Municipal Board of Cawnpore, under the Indian tramway Act, for the construction of an Electric Tramway in Cawnpore .
Cawnpore Electric Tramways (CET) opened a tramway system in Cawnpore in June 1907. There were 4 miles(7km) of track and 20 single-deck open trams. The single line connected the railway station with Sirsaya Ghat on the banks of the Ganges . The power was supplied by steam engines driving 500 volt dynamos. The city’s narrow streets connecting to the cantonment population was considered to be a good source of revenue for the tramway company .
Only two major routes were constructed .
- Originating on the banks of the Ganges and, via the large cantonment , terminating at the principal tram shed, with a spur heading northwards
- The main route starting at the tram shed and headed south to the main railway station, crossing a canal, to a halt on the Grand Trunk Road
The tramway closed on 16 May 1933 .
- "Tram Transport In India/Kanpur" Wikipedia
- ‘Indian Engineering,’ Volume 34, page 330, edited by Patrick Doyle ; Retrieved 24 Mar 2020
- Tram Views of Asia "History of Trams in India";Retrieved 10 Dec 2015