Francis Langford O'Callaghan
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Francis Langford O'Callaghan Sir (1839-1909)
Biography from Institution of Civil Engineers "Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland - Furnivall, Willoughby Charles"
- 1862-66, Public Works Department(PWD), appointed Probationary Assistant Engineer and posted to the Northern road and related bridge works .
- 1866, Promoted to PWD Executive Engineer .
- 1870, Transferred to Public Works Department Railway Branch, and served as Engineer-in-Chief of various railway surveys .
- 1871 Feb, joined the State Railways system, by this time as Executive Engineer .
- 1871, first posted to Nagpur & Raipur railway survey railway survey  (Nagpur - must be the Nagpur Chhattisgarh Railway which opened in 1871; Raipur - survey not identified)
- 1872-75, Wardha Valley Railway construction works .
- 1877-79, Tirhoot State Railway, Chief Engineer .
- 1879-83, Punjab Northern State Railway, construction of the Rawalpindi-Peshawar section that included the Attock Bridge over the Indus River . Promoted to Superintending Engineer, 1880 .
- 1884-85, Sind-Sagar Railway survey .
- 1885-86, Bolan Pass Railway Construction, Engineer-in-Chief, a strategic line constructed on Government orders
- 1887, Khwaja Amran Railway Survey for North Western State Railway (NWR)  This survey included the Khojak Tunnel and the extension of the line to the Afghan border at Chaman.
- 1887-91, Khojak Rope Inclines
- 1887-89, Khojak Tunnel and Chaman Extension Railway  for North Western State Railway (NWR)
- 1889, Promoted to Chief Engineer .
- 1889, State Railways appointed Chief Consulting Engineer for State Railway .
- 1892-94, Secretary to the Government of India, Public Works Department .
- 1894, Retired  .
- 1898, Indian Railway Conference Association, Simla. Delegate as shown on British Library IOR Shelfmark Photo 1082/13(1) . Comment - this is after his recorded retirement in 1894
- Institution of Civil Engineers "Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland - O'Callaghan, Francis Langford "; Retrieved on 9 Jul 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 575 (pdf page 538) Retrieved on 9 Jul 2016
- "The Imperial Gazetteer of India" v. 21, p. 14.; Retrieved on 9 Jul 2016
- British Library IOR Shelfmark Photo 1082/13(1) "Photo 1082/13(1) Group portrait of delegates, identified as follows on mount"; Retrieved 23 Jul 2016