|Present Day Details|
|State/Province:||North West Frontier Province (NWFP) now Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
Khanpur was a village in Hazara District, North West Frontier Province, quite close to Haripur town. It was the ancestral family seat of the rajas of the Gakhars , a sizable tribe inhabiting Punjab, parts of the North West Frontier and other locations in India.
After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the village was chosen as the site for the construction of the Khanpur Dam, which was started in the 1970s and completed in the early 1980s, and which completely submerged it all. A 'New Khanpur' village was built nearby, some 7-8 kms to the west of the old site, and this is the present place of this name.