Royal Indian Engineering College

From FIBIwiki
Revision as of 15:05, 6 October 2018 by HughWilding (talk | contribs) (Update of fate of site plus link to Wikipedia article)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Royal Indian Engineering College (RIEC) was established at Cooper's Hill, Surrey, England in 1870 to train Civil Engineers for the Indian Public Works Department. From 1885 it also encapsulated an Indian Forestry training school. It closed in 1906 when tis work was transferred to India.

The college was colloquially referred to as Cooper's Hill and "ICE College" (ICE being an acronym for Indian Civil Engineering).

After the college moved out in 1906, the buildings stood empty until bought in 1911 by Baroness Cheylesmore for use as a private home.

Later, the site became Shoreditch College of Education, a teacher's college specializing in handicraft education, before becoming the Runnymede Campus of Brunel University (until 2007). The site was acquired in 2016 by the Audley Group for conversion into a retirement village, due to open in early 2019.


FIBIS Resources

External Links