Warren Hastings PC (1732–1818) was the first Governor-General of India. He joined the East India Company, went to Calcutta in 1750 and rose to be Resident at Murshidabad. After the conquest of Bengal he returned to England but ran up large debts. He returned to India as deputy ruler of Madras. In 1772 he was appointed Governor of Bengal. He made enemies among the East India Company councillors and his reputation in England was damaged. He eventually resigned in 1785 and returned home. Far from receiving the honours he felt he deserved he was impeached for corruption and it was eight years before he was finally acquitted. He eventually became a Privy Councillor.
Historical books online
- Warren Hastings by Macaulay archive.org
- Article of Charge of High Crimes and Misdemeanors by Edmund Burke 1786 Google Books
- The Answer to the Articles by Warren Hastings 1788 Google Books
- Warren Hastings by Sir Alfred Lyall 1889 Archive.org. A book in the series English Men of Action.
- The Administration Of Warren Hastings 1772- 1785 by G W Forrest 1892 Archive.org
- Selections From The State Papers Of The Governors General Of India edited by G W Forrest. Volume I Warren Hastings, Volume II Warren Hastings 1910 Archive.org.
- The Letters of Warren Hastings to his Wife Introduced and annotated by Sydney C Grier 1905 Archive.org.
- Warren Hastings and Philip Francis by Sophia Weitzman 1929. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Warren Hastings, Maker of British India by A Mervyn Davies 1935. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Warren Hastings and British India by Penderel Moon 1949. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Warren Hastings by Patrick Turnbull 1975. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Warren Hastings : King of the Nabobs by Michael Edwardes 1976. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Dawning of the Raj : the life and trials of Warren Hastings by Jeremy Bernstein 2000. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.