Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bombay's Victoria Terminus was both the principal station and GIPR's HQ; designed by [[architect]] Frederick William Stevens, it opened on Queen Victoria's 1887 Golden Jubilee. Autumn 1855 Mr William Frederick Faviell , work begun at Bhore Ghat on the 24th January 1856. In March 1859, Mr. Faviell gave up his contract; and, for a short time, GIPR' s engineers Messrs. Swainson Adamson and George Louis Clowser, carried on the works. Incline length: 15 miles, tunnels: 26 (totalling 2 . 25 miles in length) , and 8 viaducts of masonry construction.
Re-working of structure of article
When, in 1871, the GIPR eventually reached [[Jubbulpore]] and linked to the [[East Indian Railway]] (EIR), it completed Dalhousie’s dream of a Bombay-Calcutta route.
On 30 June 1900, the assets of the GIPR were purchased by the GoI and merged with those of the [[Indian Midland Railway]] into a "new" GIPR, managed by the old company.
In 1951, the GIPR combined with the [[Nizam's Guaranteed State Railway]], the [[Dholpur State Railway]] and the [[Scindia State Railway]] to become [[Central Railway]], a zone of [[Indian Railways]].
The principal economic benefit of the GIPR
: cotton from the Deccan was exported from Bombay to Manchester to fill the trade gap created by the American Civil War.
''Design and construction: Bhore Ghat Incline - between Bombay and Poona '''
[[Civil Engineers]] included:
GIPR Chief Engineer 1849 - 1862:
Mr. James James Berkley (surveyor and route designer).
Consultant engineer 1847 - 1867:
Mr Arthur Anderson West (surveyor of the Bhore Gate Incline)<ref>[http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/docserver/fulltext/imotp.1913.17480.pdf Obituary of Arthur Anderson West] p363</ref>
GIPR Engineers: Messrs
. Adamson and Clowser, subsequently replaced by Messrs . West and Tate in Nov 1859.
The GIPR construction contract was relet in November 1859 to
Mr. Solomon Tredwell , but he died within fifteen days of landing in India. Mrs. Alice Tredwell assumed the contract and appointed Messrs . Adamson and Clowser to manage the contract for her , in her absence - as Mrs . Tredwell returned to England. This arrangement was to last seven years.
“These gentlemen (Adamson and Clowser) carried on the work with the greatest zeal and ability.” Labour management could limit construction progress, but “by their good and liberal management (Adamson and Clowser) collected and kept on the work a force of 25,000 men during two seasons, and in 1861 of more than 42,000 men.”<ref>[http://www.maharashtra.gov.in/pdf/gazeetter_reprint/Thane-I/trade_roads.html#5 Railways]
Thana District Gazetteer</ref>
== Records ==