Madras Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Madras Railway
Madras Central Station.jpg
Madras Central Railway Station
Line of route
Madras to Bangalore
Madras to Raichur
Madras to Waltair (Vizagapatam)
Jalarpet to Mangalore
Gauge / mileage
Broad gauge 904 miles (1905)
Broad gauge 497 miles (1905) - North East line
Timeline
1845 Company formed
1856 First section of line open to traffic
1907 Line acquired by State
1908 Jalarpet to Mangalore transferred to South Indian Railway
Key locations
Presidency Madras
Stations Bezwada, Calicut, Coimbatore, Erode, Guntakal, Nellore, Rajahmundry, Renigunta
System agency
Own agnecy
How to interpret this infobox
Madras Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
System timeline
1907 Merged with Southern Mahratta Railway to form Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway
Constituent companies / lines
Madras Railway
Kolar Gold Fields Railway
1903 Nilgiri Mountain Railway
Shoranur-Cochin Railway
Key locations
Headquarters Madras
Workshops Perambore
Major Stations Bezwada, Bangalore, Calicut, Cochin, Coimbatore, Erode, Guntakal, Mangalore, Nellore, Ootacamund, Rajahmundry, Renigunta
Successor system / organisation
1951 Southern Railway {IR zone)
System mileage
Broad gauge 1411 miles (1905)
Metre gauge 82 miles (1905)
Associated auxiliary force
Madras Railway Volunteers
How to interpret this infobox

The Madras Railway was formed in 1845 although its first section of line, from Madras to Arcot, was not opened to traffic until 1 July 1856. In 1859, its object was given as "the construction and working of a railway from Madras to the western coast at Beypore, with branches to Bangalore and the Neilgherries; also of a line from Madras, via Bellary, to join the line from Bombay - total, about 820 miles." 1


History

Headquartered in Madras, whence its lines radiated, the Madras Railway was built to broad guage. It was the last guaranteed railway to fall to Government of India (GoI) ownership (31 December 1907).

In 1908, the northern portion (ie the north east, north west and Bangalore branches) was merged with the Southern Mahratta Railway to form the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway (MSMR). The southern section of line (Jalarpet to Mangalore) became part of the South Indian Railway.

The GoI took over the management of the MSMR on 1 April 1944.

On 14 April 1951, MSMR together with South Indian Railway and Mysore State Railway became Southern Railway, a zone of Indian Railways.


Records

There are no Staff agreements held at the British Library in the India Office Records.


Notes

1 "Money Market and City Intelligence", The Times, Wednesday, 15 June 1859, #23333, 7a.