|Chronological list of Wars and Campaigns|
|Location: Java and Sumatra|
|East India Company||Dutch East India Company|
|Result: Seizure of territory|
|Category: Java Expedition 1811|
|See our interactive map of|
Java Expedition 1811
locations and routes on Google Maps
The control of Holland by the French in the Napoleonic War again brought Dutch trading interests in the Indies into conflict with the East India Company. Lord Minto sent an expedition from Madras under Sir Samuel Auchmuty which seized settlements in Java and Sumatra but the conquests were returned to the Dutch in 1815.
Col Robert Rollo Gillespie, commanding
|Right Flank Battalion||Major Miller|
|Left Flank Battalion||Major Fraser|
|Detachment HM 89th Regiment||Major Butler|
|Royal Marines||Capt Liardet|
|Bengal Light Infantry Volunteer Battalion||Major Dalton|
|Governor General's Bodyguard||Capt Gall|
|Horse Artillery||Capt Noble|
|Detachment 22nd Dragoons||Major Travers|
Maj-Gen Frederick Wetherall, commanding
|HM 78th Regiment||Major Lindsey|
|6th Battalion Bengal Volunteers||Major Raban|
|HM 69th Regiment||Lt-Col McLeod|
|HM 59th Regiment||Lt-Col McLeod|
|5th Battalion Bengal Volunteers||Capt Griffiths|
Col Wood, commanding
|4th Battalion Bengal Volunteers||Major Grant|
|1st Battalion 20th or Marine Regiment||Lt-Col Loveday|
|3rd Battalion Bengal Volunteers|
|Flank Battalion||Major Yule|
324 European officers; 123 native officers; 5,144 European rank & file; 5,530 native rank and file; 839 pioneers, lascars etc; Total: 11,960
Historical books online
- Frontier and Overseas Expeditions from India Vol VI - Conquest of Java and Sumatra archive.org
- Memoir of the Conquest of Java: With the Subsequent Operations of the British Forces, in the Oriental Archipelago. To which is Subjoined a Statistical and Historical Sketch of Java… with an Account of Its Dependencies by Major William Thorn, late Deputy Quarter-Master- General to the Forces serving in Java. 1815 Google Books
- Page 118 A Memoir of Major-General Sir R.R. Gillespie [author catalogued as William Thorn] 1816 Google Books. Robert Rollo Gillespie commanded the First Division in the Java Expedition of 1811.
- Twelve years' military adventure in three quarters of the globe: or, Memoirs of an officer who served in the armies of His Majesty and of the East India Company, between the years 1802 and 1814 Volume 2 by John Blakiston of the Madras Engineers 1829 Google Books
- The Narrative of a Commuted Pensioner by John Williamson 1838 Archive.org Java Expedition page 26 He was with the 78th Regiment of Foot
- Java Expedition 1811 yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk
- "The British capture of Java, 1811" British Library Asian and African studies blog 11 August 2014.
- "Raffles and the British Invasion of Java. Footnotes and Sidelights from the Story of the British Interregnum in Java". The British, (being the East India Company in India) ruled Java to 1816.
- The British Invasion of Java 1811 asiamil.typepad.com, now an archived webpage.