125th Napier's Rifles
(Redirected from 25th Regiment (3rd Battalion Rifle Regiment) of Bombay Infantry)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Known as 25th Regiment of Bombay Native (Light) Infantry in the Bombay Army
Known as 125th Napier's Rifles in the Indian Army
- 1820 raised as the 1st Extra Battalion of Bombay Native Infantry out of the Poona Auxiliary Force
- 1826 became the 25th Regiment of Bombay Native (Light) Infantry
- 1861 became the 25th Regiment of Bombay Light Infantry
- 1889 became the 25th Regiment (3rd Battalion Rifle Regiment) of Bombay Infantry
- 1901 became the 25th Bombay Rifles
- 1903 became the 125th Napier's Rifles
- 1922 amalgamated with 104th Wellesley’s Rifles, 120th Rajputana Infantry, 122nd Rajputana Infantry and 123rd Outram's Rifles to become the 5th Battalion (Napier's) 6th Rajputana Rifles
- 1945 became 5th Battalion Rajputana Rifles
- 1947 allocated to India on Partition
- Napier's Rifles. The history of the 5th Battalion 6th Rajputana Rifles by H. G. Rawlinson. [With plates] Published 1929. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01001795394
- Also available HathiTrust Digital Library for those with University access.
- Also see 6th Rajputana Rifles for further histories.
Second World War
5/6th Rajputana Rifles were at Nasik, India in April 1945, and Java from October 1945 to July 1946 approximately.
- 125th Napiers Rifles British Empire website
- 125th Napier's Rifles Wikipedia
- 6th Rajputana Rifles Wikipedia
- Rajputana Rifles Wikipedia
Historical books online
- Tiger-shooting in India; being an account of hunting experiences on foot in Rajpootana, during the hot seasons, from 1850 to 1854 by William Rice, Lieutenant 25th Regiment Bombay N I. 1857 Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- JITTER PARTY. IMH (Shillong), 57 IGH, 23 ICCS WW2Talk Forum 5 July 2018. Retrieved 18 August 2018.