22nd Cavalry (Frontier Force)
(Redirected from 2nd Regiment of Cavalry, Punjab Frontier Force)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also known as Sam Browne's Horse
- 1849 raised as 2nd Regiment of Punjab Cavalry by Lt Samuel J. Browne of the 36th Bengal Native Infantry
- 1851 retitled the 2nd Regiment of Cavalry, Punjab Irregular Force
- 1861 became the 2nd Punjab Cavalry, Punjab Frontier Force
- 1903 became the 22nd Cavalry (Frontier Force)
- 1904 became the 22nd Sam Browne's Cavalry (Frontier Force)
- 1921 merged with the 25th Cavalry to become 22/25th Cavalry (Frontier Force)
- 1922 became the 12th Cavalry (Frontier Force)
- 1927 became Sam Browne's Cavalry (12th Frontier Force)
- 1937 became the permanent training regiment of the 2nd Indian Cavalry Group
- 12th Cavalry (Frontier Force) Wikipedia
- Gen Sir Samuel James Browne 1824-1901 Wikipedia
- Sam Browne's Cavalry (12th Frontier Force) Extract from Sons Of John Company by John Gaylor. November 1999 defencejournal.com, now archived.
- Coloured engraving: Portraits-2nd Punjab Cavalry 1856 W Fane artist. Brown University Library Digital Repository, Providence RI, USA.
Historical books online
- Journal of the late General Sir Sam Browne from 1840-1878 HathiTrust Digital Library. Biographical including career details rshg.org.uk.
- History of the Second Panjab Cavalry from 1849 to 1886 by Paul Kegan 1888. Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection.