|Present Day Details|
|Place Name:||Alambagh, Lucknow|
|Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway|
Alambagh (Railways) lies about 4 miles north-west of the centre of Lucknow. It was the site of a maintenance facility, set up in 1865 by the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, for the routine overhaul and repair of carriages and wagons. In time, the workshop grew to become one of the major centres in India for the construction of new coaching and goods stock, as well as its restoration and repair.
Alambagh (Mutiny) is a large walled enclosure situated at about 4 miles south west from Lucknow, near Kanpur road in India. It contains a palace, a mosque and other buildings, as well as a beautiful garden. Alambagh was converted into a fort by Indian freedom fighters in 1857. After the British defeated them and took charge of the fort, it served as the military command centre for Lucknow and the nearby towns.
Modern name: Alambagh