|Present Day Details|
|Great Indian Peninsula Railway|
==Former Names== Thana, Tanne
A fortress town on the island of Salsette, 21miles north of Bombay, Thana was a commuter town for the English, set in wooded country-side.It is the HQ of Thane District of Bombay.
Under a treaty the town made over to the Portuguese in 1533, and it became prosperous. Possession was lost in 1739 when the Portuguese lost [Bassein]. Under threat of Portuguese repossession of Salsette and Bassein and after failed negotiation with forces from Poona, the English annexed Thane by taking the Fort by force in 28 December 1771 under General Robert Gordon. Later the fort (built 1737) garrisoned (1813) by a battion of sepoys and the European Artillery from Bombay, later was used as a jail (1913).
- Bairāmjī High School 1880
- English School for Girls
- English Middle school for boys 1821 AKA‘Thane English School’
- St. John The Baptist School, Thane, was primarily intended for the teaching of Portuguese an did so up until 1905 before Enlish was taught.
- A Igreja da Se, Nossa Senhora da Conceicao, circa 1540 (Franciscan cathedral)
- The Mother of God, A madre de Deus, 1552 (and about the same time an orphanage and a collage were founded).
- Our Lady of Grace, Nossa Senhora do Rozario 1574 (Augustinians church and convent)
- St. John, Sam, Joao church 1609,
- St. John the Baptist Church 1663
- St. James Church 1825 also known as the English church
- Jewish:Gate Of Heaven Synagogue 1879
The Bombay (Boribunder) to Thana section of the = Great Indian Peninsula RailwayGIPR opened 16th April, 1853 and was the first railway to open in India
- [[Category:Cities, towns and villages in Bombay Presidency]]iki>