23rd Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|List of Bengal Army Regiments|
|Bengal Infantry Regiments|
|Bengal Infantry Finder tool|
|Bengal Horse Artillery|
|Bengal Sappers and Miners|
|East India Company Army|
Also known as the Chota Crawford Battalion.
- 1778 raised as an independent Light Infantry corps at Ramgur by Captain James Crawford Jnr
- 1786 became the 31st Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- 1796 became the 2nd Battalion 4th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- 1824 became the 23rd Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- 1857 mutinied at Mhow on 1 July
In 1861 after the mutiny the title was taken by the 15th (Pioneer) Regiment of Punjab Infantry later to become the 23rd Punjab Pioneers.