2nd Regiment of Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force
Jump to navigation Jump to search
also known as 56th Punjab Rifles
- 1849 raised as 2nd Regiment of Punjab Infantry
- 1851 retitled as the 2nd Regiment of Infantry, Punjab Irregular Force
- 1865 became 2nd Regiment of Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force
- 1901 became 2nd Punjab Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force
- 1903 became 56th Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force
- 1906 became 56th Punjab Rifles, Frontier Force
- 1922 became 2nd Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles
- 1947 allocated to Pakistan on partition
- 1957 The Frontier Force Rifles, The Pathan Regiment and the Frontier Force Regiment were amalgamated to form the new Frontier Force Regiment
- History of the 2nd Battalion, 13th Frontier Force Rifles, 1849-1931, published 1933. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01013831726 .
- The Frontier Force Rifles by Brigadier W E H Condon 1953. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01001795360 . Also available in a reprint edition, with a slightly different title, which in turn is available as an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, see below.
- A Summarised History of the 13th Frontier Force Rifles, Indian Army, during the Second World War, 1939-1946 by [A.D. FitzGerald]. 1985. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01011838679 .
- 56th Punjabi Rifles Wikipedia. Retrieved 3 August 2014
- 56th Punjab Rifles britishempire.co.uk
- 13th Frontier Force Rifles Wikipedia
- Frontier Force Regiment Wikipedia
- Frontier Force Regiment defence.pk
- Photograph of Lt Napier Gordon - 2nd Punjab Infantry from Hussards-photos.com
- "Military Operations in Aden 1914-1915" by Harry Fecitt, from Harry’s Sideshows kaiserscross.com. Includes mention of the 56th Punjabi Rifles (Frontier Force).
Historical books online
- History Of The Second Punjab Infantry 1849-1888, published Calcutta 1889. Archive.org version, mirror from Digital Library of India.
- My service in the Indian Army – and after by General Sir John Luther Vaughan 1904 Archive.org. In 1850 he was appointed to the 2nd Punjab Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force.
- The Frontier Force Rifles by Brigadier W E H Condon, originally published 1953, is available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available as an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3 (located in World War II/Military Books/Britain). The reprint edition appears to have pages 298-299 missing which may be accessed below.