105th Mahratta Light Infantry
Known as the 5th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry in the Bombay Army
Known as the 105th Mahratta Light Infantry in the Indian Army
- 1788 formed as 3rd Battalion Bombay Sepoys and known as the Kali Panchin (Black Fifth)
- 1796 became 1st Battalion 3rd Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry
- 1824 became 5th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry
- 1841 became 5th Regiment of Bombay Native (Light) Infantry
- 1885 became 5th Regiment of Bombay (Light) Infantry
- 1901 became 5th Bombay Light Infantry
- 1903 became 105th Mahratta Light Infantry
- 1922 became 2nd Battalion 5th Mahratta Light Infantry
- 1945 became 2nd Battalion Mahratta Light Infantry
- 1947 allocated to India on Partition
First World War
The 105th was at Poona in 1914 with a detachment at Satara. During the First World War the 105th served in India, Mesopotamia and Palestine but it did not leave India until August 1916, having spent the first two years of the war on railway defence duties in India.
- Kali Panchwin Wikipedia
- 105th Mahratta Light Infantry Wikipedia
- 105th Mahratta Light Infantry British Empire website
- 5th Mahratta Light Infantry Wikipedia
- Aden 1901-04: Fighting in the Aden Hinterland. Delineating an international boundary by Harry Fecitt from Harry’s Sideshows.kaiserscross.com. The force included men from the 5th Bombay Light Infantry
Historical books on-line
- Lists of the officers of His Majesty's and the Hon. Company's troops serving under the Presidency of Bombay from Adjutant General's Office January 1st 1798 1st Battalion 3rd Regiment Officers' muster roll in Malabar Google Books
- A Famous Indian Regiment. The Kali Panchwin 2/5th [formerly the 105th] Mahratta Light Infantry 1768-1923 by Sir Reginald Hennell. 1927 is available as a pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Valour Enshrined Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title: Valour enshrined. A history of the Maratha Light Infantry, 1768-1947 by M.G. Abhyankar [Volume1], published 1971. (There was a second volume published, by C.L. Proudfoot in 1980, covering the period 1947-1979). The DLI file appears to be a reprint edition which advises first published 1960, but this date is not correct for this book.
- Greveson, Alan. Alan Greveson's World War 1 Forum. Scroll to the post by Beth 9 February 2013, and reply by Alan Greveson of the same date, to a question in respect of William Burgess Benton. Retrieved 19 June 2016.