Andaman Islands Timber Tramway
The Andaman Islands Timber Tramway was a 2ft/610mm narrow gauge(NG) 'John Fowler' portable tramway was first used in 1890 when delivered with 1.5 miles(2.4km) of track. it was hand and/or bullock operated and by 1898 had 6.5 miles(10.4km) of track .
From 1900 a new system was laid and named the Andaman Islands, Wimberleyganj Steam Tramway from Wimberleyganj to Shoal Bay Creek, 7 miles(11km) operated by steam locomotives and firewood trucks. The system was expanded and by 1907 other lines added from the 'Brickfields to South Quarries and firewood area', 5 miles(8km); 'North Bay to North Quarries', 2 miles(3.2km); and a further forest line 'Bajajag to Constance Bay and Port Moat', 6 miles(9.6km) plus other short lines as required. In 1914 the Forest Department reported that the stock comprised two locomotives and wagons. From 1917 other hand worked lines were opened in forests and the track came from the Steam Tramway .
It appears likely that at some point a the 2ft 6in/762mm NG was adopted but confirmatiuon of this is required. The system continued to be in operation post 1947 .
- “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compliled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry AN02 pages 59-60