John Fowler & Company Ltd
John Fowler & Company Ltd, locomotive builder and light railway supplier, based in Leeds, UK and from 1891 established 'John Fowler & Company (India) Ltd.' based in Calcutta and later in Bombay.
As supplied in approximate chronological order :-
The records give the following as using the 'John Fowler' system.
This list is not complete
- Rajgarh, Biaora-Sehore Road Construction Tramway, Central India Agency PWD; 2 miles track, 1865
- Sambhar Salt Extraction Tramway, Sambhar Salts Ltd; experimental line that failed, 1869-86
- Amritsar Municipality Conservancy Tramway, Amritsar Municipality; 5 miles and wagons, gauge 2ft 0in, 1882
- Calcutta Water Supply - Pulta & Tallah Tramways, Water Supply Department; 14 miles of track, John Fowler locomotives and trucks, gauge 2ft 0in, 1884-86
- Nellore District Forestry Tramways, Madras Presidency Forest Department; track and wagons, gauge 2ft 0in, 1885 onwards
- Rangoon Water & Sewerage Department Railway, Burma, Rangoon Burma Municipal Government water supply tank construction; track, locomotives and trucks, gauge 1ft 8in(508mm), 1886-89
- Periyar Dam and Reservoir Construction Tramway, Government of India for Madras Presidency PWD; track and side-tipping trucks, 1889
- Burma, Bassien Municipality Tramway; track and rolling stock, 1889
- Andaman Islands Timber Tramway Forest Department; track 1½ miles(2.4km) initially with trucks, later extended withy additional track, locomotive and wagons
- Khushalgarh-Kohat-Thal Railway; experiments with a section of track, passenger carriage and wagons, and John Fowler built trolleys, 1902
Refer to individual pages for information and references.
- “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry WB77 page ....