Amritsar Municipality Conservancy Tramway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Amritsar Municipality Conservancy Tramway

Amritsar Municipality from October 1882 constructed a 'John Fowler' portable tramway as a Conservancy Tramway. The 2ft/610mm narrow gauge(NG) tramway consisted of 5 miles(8km) of track with wagons. The line was in service by Dec 1882 with 2 miles(3.2km) being used for conservancy work and the remaing 3 miles(4.8km) in use for transporting earth to fill the city ditch. The concervancy line was horse worked to draw five wagons and the city ditch line was hand worked [1].

Later the records show that 'John Fowler' supplied 40 wagons and in 1915 three locomotives. The use of these is unkown [1]

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry PB01 page ....