Bengal Provincial Railway
|Bengal Provincial Railway|
| [[Image:|150px| ]]|
|Line of route|
|Magra to Tarakeshwar|
|Gauge / mileage|
|2' 6" NG||33 miles (1905)|
42 miles (1943)
|1917||Dasghara-Jamalpurganj line planned|
|How to interpret this infobox|
The Bengal Provincial Railway Company (BPR) was formed c.1884.
This private line, formerly known as Tarakeshwar Magra Railway, was opened in 1885; a short (33 mile) 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) railway from Magra (in Hooghly district) to Tarakeshwar, an important place of pilgrimage for the Shiva sect. 
The Dasghara-Jamalpurgunj Railway, opened 1919 as an extension to the BPR.
The BPR line closed in 1956.
Refer to FIBIS Fact File #4: “Research sources for Indian Railways, 1845-1947” - available from the Fibis shop. This Fact File contains invaluable advice on 'Researching ancestors in the UK records of Indian Railways' with particular reference to the India Office Records (IOR) held at the British Library
An on-line search of the IOR records relating to this railway  gives the following: -
- L /F/8/19/1451 “Bengal Provincial Railway Company Limited, Contract for construction and working of a railway from Dasghara to Jamalpurganj; 1919”