Bernardmyo

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bernardmyo was situated 10 miles north-west of Mogok, in the Ruby Mines District, in the Mandalay Division of Upper Burma, in the Shan Hills.

It was situated at an elevation of over 6000 feet above sea level, and was established as a military sanitarium and station following the 3rd Burma War, perhaps c 1887. The access was through country which was considered a fever belt, with the final twenty miles of the journey by mule-path.

It was abandoned as a military station, probably c 1900, due to its isolation and inaccessibility.

C 1893 there was a detachment of British Infantry stationed there, but it was not considered a cantonment. However, there is one reference to it as "the cantonment of the Ruby Mines".

Spelling variants

Modern name: Ywar Thar Yar
Other names: Bernardmyo, Bernard-Myo, Bernard Myo, Bernard Town.

External links

Historical books online

  • "Ruby Mines District", in the Mandalay Division of Upper Burma. Imperial Gazetteer of India, Volume 21, page 326.
  • Bernard-Myo page 264 "On the Ruby Mines near Mogok, Burma" by Robert Gordon, C.E Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography Vol. 10, No. 5 May 1888 Archive.org
  • Page 156 Notes and statistics in four parts, compiled in the Office of the Chief Secretary to the Chief Commissioner. Rangoon 1893 Archive.org. In c 1893 there was a detachment of British Infantry stationed there, but it was not considered a cantonment, as there is wording “Cantonment-Nil”
  • "Bernard-Myo" page 45 Gazetteer of Upper Burma and the Shan States Part 2, Volume 1 A-K 1901. Archive.org
  • Pages 46-47 and page 271 The Pacification of Burma by Sir Charles Crosthwaite. Chief Commissioner of Burma 1887-1890. 1912 Archive.org. Brief references to Bernard Myo.
  • Gazeteer: Ruby Mines District 1915. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Possibly may contain information about Bernardmyo.