Bhupendra Cement Works Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bhupendra Cement Works Railway

The Bhupendra Cement Works, 3 miles (5km) north of Surajpur, Chhattisgarh District, Central Provinces, opened in 1939 by the ‘Associated Cement Company Limited’. When first built it had a 2ft/610mm narrow gauge(NG) railway line in the quarry for transporting chalk from the quarry to the aerial ropeway which carried the chalk to the works [1]..

The works were to the east of the Surajpur Halt Station. The records show that the works operated BG locomotives [1], so undoubtedly was connected to the ‘Annupur-Ambikpur Branch Line’ which at Annupur Junction joined the Bengal-Nagpur Railway (BNR) ‘Katni Branch Line’.

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compliled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entr yHR04 page 159