Bukhtiarpur-Bihar Light Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bukhtiarpur-Bihar Light Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
Line of route
Bukhtiarpur to Rajgir
Gauge / mileage
2' 6" NG 18 miles (1905)
33 miles (1943)
Timeline
1903 Section to Bihar opened to traffic
1911 Extended to Rajgir
1950 Taken over by local district board
1962 Nationalised, converted to broad gauge and re-opened to traffic
Key locations
Presidency Bengal
Stations Bukhtiarpur, Bihar, Rajgir
System agency
Worked by Martin's Light Railways
1962 Eastern Railway (IR zone)
How to interpret this infobox
Bukhtiarpur-Bihar Light Railway

Also known as the Bakhtiyarpur-Bihar Light Railway

The Bukhtiarpur-Bihar Light Railway (BBLR) was a short, 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) branchline which connected the city of Bihar (Bihar Sharif) to the East Indian Railway(EIR) at Bukhtiarpur and opened in 1903. The line was later extended from Bihar to Rajgir in 1911 giving a line length of 62 miles [1].

The Bukhtiarpur-Bihar Light Railway Company owned the railway and it was one of several small narrow gauge concerns worked by Martin's Light Railways(MLR), a management company based in Calcutta. [2]

The line was taken over by the local district board in 1950. In 1962, the track was acquired by Indian Railways, converted to broad gauge and re-opened to traffic.

External links

Further Information

See Martin's Light Railways

References