Burdwan-Katwa Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Burdwan-Katwa Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
Line of route
Burdwan to Katwa
Gauge / mileage
2' 6" NG 32 miles (estimate)
Timeline
1915 Opened to traffic
Key locations
Presidency Bengal
Stations
System agency
1915 McLeod's Light Railways
1966 Eastern Railway (IR zone)
How to interpret this infobox

The Burdwan-Katwa Railway (BKR) was a 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) line, 33 miles(54km), owned by the Burdwan-Katwa Railway Company. The railway was built and operated as part of McLeod's Light Railways(McLR), opening to traffic on 01 December 1915. [1]

In 1966, ownership of the BKR, together with its sister line, the Ahmadpur-Katwa Railway, was transferred to a zone of Indian Railways, Eastern Railway, which continues to operate the BKR as a narrow-gauge operation.

Further Information

See McLeod's Light Railways

References

  1. " Administration Report on the Railways in India – corrected up to 31st March 1918"; Superintendent of Government Printing, Calcutta; page 220; Retrieved 31 Jan 2016