Burma Rebellion 1930-1932
Also known as the Saya San Rebellion.
Armed disturbances broke out in Burma in December 1930 and continued throughout 1931 and into 1932. When they first broke out the origin of the disturbances was very obscure but it became apparent that they originated in a Nationalist movement which aimed at getting rid of British control.
- Elegibility: see External links below
- See Medal Rolls
Records at the British Library
Records at the British Library include
- The Origin and Causes of the Burma Rebellion (1930-32). Rangoon, 1934 IOR/V/27/262/19. This is the official history.
- Collection 403/132 Report on operations in connection with operations for suppression of rebellion in Burma, December 1930 to March 1932. IOR/L/MIL/7/16959
- The Burma Rebellion: general file [including the result of an inquiry into the origin and causes of the rebellion] IOR/L/PJ/6/2020, File 7347 : Dec 1930-May 1937
- War Diaries of the Burma Rebellion 1930-1932 IOR/L/MIL/5/862-884
- Collection 403/136 Recommendations for awards and "mentions" in despatches in connection with Burma rebellion. IOR/L/MIL/7/16963
Records at the Imperial War Museums
- Catalogue reference with content details: Imperial War Museums DS/MISC/75 ; JKS/1 Ts. autobiography, titled "Essays of a Non-Soldier", of Lieutenant-Colonel J K Stanford c 1968. When the Burma rebellion broke out in the winter of 1930, Stanford was District Commissioner at Henzada in Upper Burma.
- Saya San Wikipedia
- India General Service Medal 1908 Clasp Award Criteria Scroll down to Burma 1930-32. northeastmedals.co.uk
- "Structuring revolt: Communities of interpretation in the historiography of the Saya San rebellion" by Maitrii Aung-Thwin Journal of South East Asian Studies 39(2) June 2008 pages 297-317. academia.edu.
- "Recovering Peasant Politics in Colonial Burma: Orientalism, Rebellion, and the Law" by Maitrii Aung-Thwin Journal of Comparative Law 7:2 2013 pages 39-59. academia.edu.
Historical books online
- Report on the Rebellion in Burma up to 3rd May 1931 and communique issued by the Government of Burma 19th May 1931 Secretary of State for India to Parliament. [London, HMSO. 1931]. Link to a pdf download Digital Repository of GIPE, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India
- The Rebellion In Burma (April 1931-March 1932) Archive.org
- "The Burmese Rebellion 1931" page 146 Journal of the United Service Institution of India, Volume 62, 1932 Archive.org
- Chapter 11, "The Burmese Rebellion 1930-32" page 299 Imperial Policing by Major-General Sir Charles W Gwynn 1939 Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection. Also available as a different file Archive.org (pdf).
- Imperial Policing by Major-General Sir Charles W Gwynn 1939, page 299