or, Chinchona Plantation.
The bark of cinchona trees was processed to produce quinine, used in the treatment of malaria.
- Cinchona Wikipedia.
- Cinchona: A Short History lib.cam.ac.uk
- Cinchona darjeeling.gov.in
- History of Cinchona Plantation in the Darjeeling Hillsdarjeelingnews.net
- Mungpoo Cinchona Plantation- A brief History mungpoonews.blogspot
- "The Imperial Cocktail: How the gin and tonic became the British Empire’s secret weapon" by Kal Raustiala August 28, 2013 www.slate.com
Historical books online
- An account of the Quinquina plantations in the Island of Java by Fr. Jungbuhn and J. E. De Vrij. 1859 Translated from the Dutch by W. T. Fraser 1861 Google Books
- Report on the expedition to procure seeds and plants of the Cinchona succirubra, or Red Bark tree by Richard Spruce 1861 Google Books
- Report (to the Under Secretary of State of India) on the Expedition to procure Seeds of C. Condaminea from the Sierra de Cajanuma, near Loxa, in Ecuador. by Robert Cross 1861 Google Books
- Travels in Peru and India: while superintending the collection of chinchona plants and seeds in South America, and their introduction into India by Clements Robert Markham 1862 Google Books
- Return: East India (Chinchona Plant). "Copy of correspondence relating to the introduction of the Chinchona Plant into India and to Proceedings connected with its cultivation from March 1852 to March 1863" House of Commons 20 March 1863. Archive.org
- Peruvian Barks by Gustave Planchon. Translated from the French, 1866. Google Books. Originally published 1864 as Des Quinquinas, available Gallica gallica.bnf.fr, and Archive.org
- The Quinology of the East Indian Plantations by John Eliot Howard 1869 Archive.org. Includes coloured plates.
- The Experiences of a Planter in the Jungles of Mysore by Robert H Elliot 1871. Volume I Google Books. Volume II HathiTrust Digital Library. Includes Coffee, Chinchona, Cardamon, Tea, Cotton, Silk, Sandal-Wood, Rhea-Grass.
- A Manual of Cinchona Cultivation in India by George King 1876 Archive.org. 2nd Edition 1880 Archive.org
- Peruvian bark: A popular account of the introduction of chinchona cultivation into British India. 1860-1880 by Clements Robert Markham 1880 Archive.org
- Page iii indicates that it was grown in the Nilgiris and Southern India and in Sikkim and Ceylon
- The Cinchona Planter's Manual by T C Owen. Printed at Colombo (A. M. & J. Ferguson) 1881 Archive.org
- Prize Essay on Cinchona Cultivation Written for the Dikoya Planters' Association [Ceylon] by Thomas North Christie 1883
- Ceylon & Her Planting Enterprize: In Tea, Cacao, Cardamoms, Cinchona, Coconut, and Areca Palms Published 1885 by A.M. & J. Ferguson. Archive.org
- "The Cultivation of Cinchona in India", page 435 Current Science 1939 (Volume 8) Issue 9 September 1939. Scroll down to a djvu or pdf download currentscience.ac.in. Depending on your browser, this may download to your downloads folder.
- Horticultural and Economic Plants of the Nilgiris edited by S Krishnamurthi 1953 Includes tea, coffee chinchona etc Archive.org