In the Regulation Provinces he would be a Covenanted Civil Servant, or in the Non-Regulation Provinces he could be either a Covenanted Civil Servant or an officer of the East India Company or Indian Army.
The Commissioner role is
- Management of the Collector-Magistrates in the district
- Chief of the local authority (he has no power over judges or the judiciary)
- Heads the Police Authority - no role in its management
- Chief Revenue Authority - responsible to the Board of Revenue for Land revenues
- Collection of Licence Tax – it is a form of personal taxation as there is no Income Tax Licence Tax.
- Inspection of schools, Collector's treasuries, jails, asylums, and burial grounds.
- Arbitration of civil disputes
- Recommendation of infastructure improvements
"The Bengal Civil Service" a description of the role of Commissioner